From the Ashes of the Olive Branch

Hands up and put your ideas in the bag 🎒 🔫

(Seriously I'm begging you I have such bad writers block rn)

[Also quick reminder if you're referring to me please use They/Them :D]
---------------

The novelty of living alone and isolated from the outside world had worn off far quicker than Niki had anticipated, it was beginning to become quite lonely. The only inhabitants of her so-called "underground city" were the ghosts of her past, the looming shadows created by the soul fire lanterns and the bitter scent of TNT.

The city had once been beautiful, covered in quartz walls and lined with colorful lanterns that glowed above the artificial gardens. It had been the perfect paradise. But nothing beautiful is ever permanent as Niki had learned, only a few days ago during a mad rush of grief and anger she had laced the entirety of the city with TNT.

She hadn't truly been thinking properly, she had not seen another human soul in so long that she lost herself to hysteria and the infamous voices that plagued many of the members of Essempi. They had been screaming at her while demanding a sacrifice by fire, they wanted destruction and who was Niki to not give it to them.

Now the city lay in ruins much like her previous home, a pattern that was doomed to be repeated over and over again it seemed. There was no escape from the sounds of flint striking steel followed by the hissing of explosives, the sounds of that alone was enough to drive any man mad. Perhaps that's what happened to Wilbur, Niki mused as she sat on a small boulder.

In the palms of her hands lay a wooden branch about the length of her forearm, it was rough and it was clear that it hadn't been touched in ages by the amount of dust that had accumulated on the surface.

Dark streaks of smeared ash and blood decorated it in a gruesome form of art, the damning smell of smoke was etched into the wood and it polluted the air around it with the scent. It had been crammed into a chest and shoved away for nearly a year until it was now retrieved exactly a year since the dreaded Doomsday.

The branch came from the L'mantree, the very tree Niki had burnt to ashes during Doomsday. Her name was now written in the history books as one of the great traitors, her name forever etched in blood and smoke. She vowed to never be forgotten again but at the cost of her name being schorned and looked down upon as a villain. She had no issue with this whatsoever, but this branch weighed her down with guilt and she wished she had never taken it from it's chest.

But now as Niki sits alone in the cold and empty ruins of her home she wonders if she made the right choice, was she really fine with being a villain in history? Looking down at this seemingly insignificant piece of wood Niki can't help but feel she had let Wilbur down. Why do the words of a dead man mean so much to you? Her own mind echoed, taunting her as if she was a small child.

"They don't," Niki whispered harshly to herself. Her voice ricocheted off the walls and her words seemed to bounce back to mock her. She lowered her head in disgrace and she tightened her grip on the branch, it almost seemed to hum against her skin and it caused her to shudder in fear. Niki quickly jumped from the boulder she was sitting on, she rested the branch up against the rock before gathering a few pieces of stray wood from a nearby chest.

Once she had piled up the planks Niki struck stone against steel and allowed the sparks to turn into a roaring fire. Niki retrieved the stick from its resting place and sat next to the fire with the branch resting peacefully in her lap.

She sat there and hummed for a few minutes as she tried to recall the lyrics she had heard Wilbur singing one night. Niki can remember Wilbur singing the beginnings of a song about the Essempi, the first line was always the same. The Essempi was a place where people fled to, a place that was said to hand out freedom for free. But once there many realized they could not leave and the price of freedom from one tyrant was the imprisonment from another.