Part 1 Chapter 3

The night had reached its peak before Arrow returned inside. "It felt kinda strange to rest during the day, like how will I sleep at night," Jai asked.

"Well, I just thought it was a lot for you to take in, so a little rest would do you good. Besides, you've got a journey ahead of you, and you'd be no good wound up," Arrow replied. "We're going to leave soon and get to the thick inner part of these woods."

"Um, not even the best game hunters go that far," Jai whispered.

"That's the point, to not be found," Arrow replied. "After Cyra passed, the world of Firehearts fell apart. Actually, to be quite fair, the last four legends did a greater disservice than anything. Well, except Basir, the Windmasters made progress." Arrow stood up and moved everything back to its respective corner.

Jai stood up as well and began helping him tidy the hut. "How do you know all of this stuff?"

Arrow stopped in his tracks and sighed, "My father."

Jai noticed that Arrow seemed uncomfortable talking about his family, so he decided to let it go. Once the hut was tidy, Arrow led Jai away and into the depths of the woods. It was challenging to walk in the thick of the woods. There were creatures overhead and crawling around. Arrow was a few steps ahead, and Jai stayed close, not wanting to get lost. It was difficult enough during the full daylight, but the night was different. Jai was struggling just to see what was ahead of him.

"You know everything in the woods is afraid of fire, even the trees. So don't worry, relax," Arrow spoke without looking at Jai, expertly navigating the forest.

"So you say, besides, I can't always get fire. It's temperamental, I can always get light and heal, but that fire is something else. Are my eyes still gold?"

"Yeah, since the moment you healed me, and I opened my eyes, your eyes have been gold," Arrow reassured him. "Hey, look," Arrow stopped in his tracks, "Do you believe me?"

"I don't know what to believe; everything I've known wants me dead. So, to be honest, since I don't want to die, what you're giving me is all I've got."

Arrow turned around and smiled, "I didn't want to force you into anything. I just want to help. Like I said, I'm technically at your service. Let's go. It's not much farther." The pair continued for another ten minutes into the thick woods where a giant tree stood. The trunk was at least twenty feet wide. It was probably the tallest tree in the woods. "Behind here," Arrow motioned for Jai to come. There was a substantially sized cabin tucked behind the tree. Jai was in awe because it was so well camouflaged. The cabin could pass for scenery if one was not looking at it closely. That was probably by design.

Arrow knocked on the door. Jai noticed that the knock was unique, but as quickly as he heard, he forgot. The door cracked open. Arrow motioned for him to come closer, and he pushed the door, allowing Jai and himself to go inside.

Jai was greatly surprised to see at least a dozen people looking at him when he walked through the door. "Don't stare. That's rude," Arrow scolded them, and they all looked away. "Don't mind them. None of us have seen golden eyes before," he chuckled before leading him through the cabin past everyone's murmurs. All the way in the back was a woman who had her back turned to them. She was looking at a particular map on the wall. The place was unfamiliar to Jai.

"Hey, Cal, do you have a minute?" Arrow gently touched her shoulder.

She didn't turn around, "Sure, what's up?"

Arrow smiled, "Why don't you take a look." She turned around, and her honey-colored eyes went wide as her jaw dropped. "Cal, you shouldn't stare. That's rude." She quickly closed her mouth and cleared her throat.