Part 3 Chapter 7 ~ continued

"What!"

"Shut it," Chelan hushed her, "She's having dinner with your family, Shasa, and crew. Nahal has to be there. Today Elder Akay passed. When Sita examined the body, she said that the death was not from natural causes."

Rilian's eyes went wide, "An elder was murdered?"

Chelan shook his head, "Sita, got evidence. It was disgusting."

"What kind of evidence," Tiber asked.

Chelan looked sick, "Hair and skin samples, then she had to cut a piece of her tongue because it was blue. I know. I almost threw up when she told me. We are investigating the murder of Akay and trying to get something on Nahal. She won't get anything until after dinner."

"Chelan, is there anything else? I mean anything, even if it doesn't seem important."

"Well, I don't know if this means anything, but today I saw Yas and Nahal seeming to be collaborating on something. They were trying to discuss something, but when Muraco got close, they stopped like they didn't want him to hear what they were talking about. Nahal has also been handing over control of various tasks to Yas."

"Wait, Yas is Nahal's uncle. Isn't he the lead guard?"

"Yes, and since the attack, I have lent Yas half of my warriors. I was planning on getting information from them."

"Please do, but be careful. My father was murdered, but I didn't kill him. Now Akay has been murdered. Chelan, please be careful, and watch out for Sita. How's Shasa?"

"To be quite honest, she looks horrible. She's sad and lonely, but the sisters are trying to keep her spirits up. Tiber, I never believed that you killed your father. Nahal is a master manipulator, it's like he speaks, and people listen. I'll be careful and don't worry about Sita. As the lead warrior, I trust her safety to no one other than me. I have to go back now, but take care," he turned to leave, "Hey, why don't we try to catch up at the summer festival? We're all single. We can try to get whatever we can and fill you in."

"A-alright, the festival it is," Tiber reluctantly agreed. Chelan left and hurried back to filter water from the icy, cold river.

Rilian touched Tiber's shoulder, "Let's get back. You have to fill Cove in."

"This is all-"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence. I don't know everything that happened, but you are here now trying to set the record straight. Focus on what you can do, believe in the Universe, and the stars will always fall in place. Let's go," Rilian wipes Tiber's teary eyes. Rilian led the way. After meeting with Kano, they quickly rode their respective cats back to the Jungle tribe.

Rilian and Kano went their own way, and Tiber led Mika upward to the treetops. She sulked all the way to Rilian's tent. Sadness encased her soul as she entered. All she could think about was her sister, her friends, and the hell Nahal was forging for them. She was angry, furious, her blood boiling. She wanted to find Neptune, take his head and serve it to Nahal firsthand.

"Why the heck is it so cold in here?"

"I'm sorry, Cove," Tiber murmured.

"I saw you come back. I was about to eat but decided to see how things went," he waited for her to reply, "Not good. Why don't you tell me about it." He sat with his legs folded on the wooden floor.

Tiber wanted to talk, but tears fell instead. She collapsed, hugging her knees, and sobbed. Cove scooted close to her and embraced her.

"It's all my fault. Things are becoming hell for them, and it is because of me," Tiber cried into his chest.

"Shh, don't say that."

"It's true."

"No, it is not. If it was true, you would not be here."

Tiber pulled away from him and wiped her eyes. Cove turned her head to face him, "Talk to me."

"I couldn't talk to Sita. But she found someone she could trust to help her. He told me that he got in trouble after I left. Nahal thought he helped me kill my father. Sita got him off, so he's been helping her. My father's decree is missing, so the tribe doesn't have a chief. They have thirty-one days to choose a chief, and Nahal is trying to win their votes. The worst part is that he's winning them over. He has help. His uncle Yas is plotting something with him, but no one knows what it is right now. Then there was another murder of an elder. She was the tribe's Moonsayer, making things worse for them. And my sister, she is sick, sad, and lonely."

"Alright, I know it's a lot to take in at once. There's a scenario that I know you do not want to hear, but I have to ask. What if Nahal really does believe that you killed your father? At what point did he see you?"

"My father was on the ground, and there was a lot of blood. He had already given me his final wish. I was crying his name around the time Nahal walked in," Tiber reflected.

"If you were to disagree with Nahal, how would he respond?"

Tiber rolled her eyes, "He'd be skeptical. He's not easy to convince of anything."

"Well, that might be a part of it. He really might believe that you killed him. If he really believes that, he will work to convince others of his point of view."

"I almost forgot Chelan wanted to meet up at the summer festival to exchange information."

"Is Chelan Sita's ally you were talking about?"

"Yes, but I would rather not go to the festival."

"Why? It's a cultural tradition. You're a single woman, and it's a good opportunity to meet your future husband."

"I would have gone with my father. He would have introduced me to suitors, and I can't imagine going to meet people without his support."

"You could go with me, that is if you trust me. I'm single, so it should not be a problem." Cove was so relaxed as he suggested that they go together.

Tiber's navy eyes met his teal ones. Moments passed, and her heart was racing. She didn't know what to say. Her mouth was dry, and her throat felt small, "I want to go with you," as the words left her mouth, Tiber shocked herself.

Cove smiled, "I don't normally get a chance to go out and enjoy myself. I want to go with you too." He shook his head feverishly, "Since that's settled, we will give Aqila and Kavi a chance to give their opinion and prepare to meet your folks in about ten days." He stood up and offered his hand to Tiber. After helping her up, he started to leave.

"I'm starting to believe now... in the Universe, I mean. It hasn't been easy all the time."

"Becoming someone new is never easy."

"And I trust you, Cove."

He chuckled, "I know. I never thought that you didn't trust me. But you didn't trust yourself enough to let me help you. Now we are past that, and I'm happy with that. Why don't you join everyone for dinner."

Tiber smiled, "I'd like that."