Part 3 Chapter 4

The sun had set about an hour ago, and the stars performed an elaborate dance in the skies above. Alena's light brown eyes twinkled against the glimmering of the moon. Her gaze was focused on her target. She covered her body in a plain black cloak. This part of Lower Ember was like an ancient village. Her target was rummaging behind a market stand. Very few people were walking about. Those who went by didn't care that someone's goods were stolen right before their eyes.

The target would look up ever so often, hopeful of getting enough before the owner came. It would not be wise to approach him now, so she waited. Five minutes passed, and her target had every pocket on their body filled with food. Pushing all emotions aside, she followed several yards behind. The target's destination was a modest little home. As her target went inside, she saw the light of a candle flicker. The closer she came, she noticed that the door was not all the way closed. Alena questioned this. Nonetheless, this did not stop her from pushing the door further open very slowly. Once open, she saw him sitting at a small round table with a slight smile.

"Close the door behind you," he smirked.

Alena's breath got caught in her throat as she wondered how he came to expect her. She slowly shut the door behind her.

"Make yourself at home."

"How?"

"How what? How did I know you were following me? You've been following me for weeks. I must say, you're not too great at your job. Pretty sloppy, actually."

Alena rushed towards him with a fist of flames which he caught easily.

"Are we doing this again? You can't beat me at my own game. Now, if you want to talk, let's sit down and be civil... for as long as we can."

Zay sat back down, and Alena sat across from him.

"What do you want? You're not here to say hello," he grabbed an apple from his pocket and began eating it.

"How could you just leave like that? How can you just walk around like nothing happened?"

"Why would I stay? I think that's the better question to ask. For everyone to question me? For your allies to not believe me when I said that I turned on Agnes? To be asked who Agnes is and where he goes, only for them to be dissatisfied when I say that I don't know? Tell me, what did I have to gain by staying?"

"Zay, we want to give you a chance," Alena started.

"Really? Then why were you tailing me like the target in the center of a bull's eye for two weeks? How come today was the first day you approached me alone?"

"I stayed in that house waiting for you to wake up and talk to me. I wanted everyone to see you for who you are. But before you gave me a chance, you just left."

"Why are you making this so personal?"

"Because you saved my life, Zay, twice. And you have no idea how it felt to watch you bleed out, taking a blow that was probably meant for me. How it felt when that building collapsed knowing that you might have died before I had a chance to say thank you."

Zay's eyes locked on Alena's for a long time. He sighed, "Alright, Alena, what do you want to talk about?"

"Come and join the Flamethrowers-"

"Hot as hell, no! Why would I do that?"

"So, you can have a better life!"

"How? Maybe you didn't notice. I can't throw flames, and I don't have an Element like the rest of you."

"Why are you saying that like it's a limitation? You have fought against several of us and won because you're a great fighter, Zay. You don't have many friends that are truly alright with you being against Agnes. You're dancing in the shadows to avoid showing your face in this trodden village. You steal just to get by. You don't have a permanent place to stay. Why not?"