Part 3 Chapter 9

In the forest several yards from the cabin, Arrow heaved a long sigh. The news of Cahya was definitely surprising, "I understand. I just didn't expect this. I never once suspected that he was dissatisfied."

"Well, I wouldn't say that he was dissatisfied. He just had another call, and it is working to our benefit. You have an ally in him and his Phoenix Riders. If I were you, I would keep it that way," Jai replied.

Aqila had left for a moment to speak with some of the Flamethrowers. As she returned, she listened to Jai and Arrow discuss Cahya. "Well, if we've agreed that Cahya is no longer a member, it's settled. Arrow, do you have a moment?"

"Yeah, of course," he shrugged. Jai went inside the cabin. With Boaz keeping lookout, it was just Arrow and Aqila.

"Arrow, what are your goals for the Flamethrowers? I see that you are trying to keep things as Calida had them, but you should have goals you want the team to focus on and objectives for them to meet. If not, your team will feel confused by your leadership."

"There are things that we need, recruits and supplies. I want them to learn what it takes to keep things running. If I had died too, the Flamethrowers would be up the creek. No one knows how to operate this ship other than me right now, and I see that as a vulnerability. I have been pushing them to learn the ins and outs and do tasks without me, but I'm not sure if it is clicking."

"Have you told them that this is what you want?"

"Not really, but I don't think it's hard."

"That's why you didn't choose Yuuna for the second in command?"

"No, I didn't choose Yuuna because she looks like me. We are both Pyroceans. I don't want them to feel like I chose her because she's Pyrocean like me. Yuuna and I have known each other for a long time. She was the first person I recruited. I trust her with my life. However, I am not trying to replicate the feeling of a royal family or anything. With Zay coming in, I thought it would be an excellent opportunity to show him that we trust him. He's just as strong and smart as anyone else. Not having an Element should not be a barrier to advancement."

"The Flamethrowers are a little uneasy about how you've been doing things. If you let them know what you are after, it would help clear the air. They started thinking you were doing things differently because your judgment was clouded."

"No, my judgment is not clouded. I always have a lot on my mind, but I'm managing, and every day, it gets better. I guess I've been so worried about saying something wrong that I haven't been communicating at all."

"Take it from someone who has also lost someone close to her. Talking about it brings peace. Running from what feels real will always leave you in pieces."

"You're right. Calida's last words to me were not to fear anything that reminded me of her. I should talk to Yuuna so she understands. We've practically grown up together. Sometimes I can talk to her just like I'm talking with you, then there are times when I don't feel I'm emotionally available to talk to her."

"I know it's hard. It still doesn't seem real that Zeroun isn't waiting for me with new lessons, assignments, and insights. But, you learn what love and trust are when you give those close to you a glimpse at your vulnerabilities, and they fight to protect them."

"I'll update everyone tonight," Arrow took a deep breath, "so where are you headed?"

"I'm going to the Jungle tribe. Chief Cove asked for an insight into an urgent matter. Jai and Boaz are coming with me."

"This could lead to some information on Neptune. Are you sure you don't want to wait until tomorrow and take some of the Flamethrowers with you?"

"No, we should be fine, but thank you." The pair headed inside the cabin. Arrow immediately went to talk to Yuuna while Aqila looked for Jai. She saw him talking with Arin, Alena, and Zay.