13. Bolt the door

Triggers:
Break down
Anxiety
Cuss words
Name calling
Hitting
Confinement
Mention of a dead body
Starvation

Penelope's pov:

          My parents stayed for two weeks, my mom helped me shower and my dad cooked for me and helped out with Lars. As much as I appreciate their help and not being lonely, I was relieved when they left; I just want to be alone. My depression makes me feel solitary and I hate being social, even if it's just my parents.

        Officer Parker called to tell me they found the man who took Eleanor  in their database and he's on their wanted list. His name is Aiden Borden, it was a week ago when I heard from her. Ive been worrying myself sick thinking about who Ellie is around and what is happening to her. 

          Once my parents leave I get Lars into his vest and collar before we get into the car. I take him to the park where Ellie got taken; I don't expect to find her but being in the last place I saw her helps me feel closer to her, somehow. Once I park I help Lars out and we start jogging around the track.

        He stops to pee a few times before we finish our way around the track, I take Lars to the car and get his retractable bowl pouring water for him into it before I drink my own water. When Lars is finished we hop into the car and I drive to a local coffee shop and go through the drive thru to get a cold brew and a pup cup for Lars.

When I get home I take a shower and eat a sandwich before cleaning up. I put all of Ellie's toys in her room, when I open the door my heart drops. I knew I wouldn't see her in there but seeing her room empty breaks my heart. I sit down in the rocking chair, I would sit in it to nurse Ellie to sleep and read her books. I start sobbing uncontrollably, I fall to my knees and scream in anger. "How could I let this happen to that poor helpless little princess." I blame myself.

Once I get it together I lay on the ground for a while before Lars come in whining for me to get up. I let him crawl into my lap licking my face. Once Lars helped me back onto my feet I take him outside and throw the ball for him, he only catches it a few times before he drops it and he's back to the sliding door whining to go inside, I sigh sadly he doesn't like seeing me so sad so it's making him sad too.

Lars and I are only cuddled on the couch for a few minutes before my door bell is ringing, Lars jumps up letting out a big bark. I stand and look into the peep hole seeing Officer Parker standing outside my door.

My heart start to pound in my chest, I silence Lars before I open the door and greet her with a kind smile. "I'm sorry to bother you." she says looking into my eyes sadly, it makes my heart beat even faster but this time due to worry. I shake my head and open my door wider for her to come inside. "can I get you anything?" I ask the red head walking into my living room, "I'll never turn down a coffee." she says with a smirk before her face turns serious again.

Once our coffees are made we sit at the kitchen table; we sit there in silence for what feel like ages before she speaks up. "my boss is making me close the case. I fought as hard as I could but it has been a week with no leads and...I'm sorry." She spews a bit unprofessionally but its not like I notice, my world just shattered. "I failed her" is all I can say before I break down again, I've been doing a lot of that today.

Officer Parker watches me silently for a few minutes before she stands and walks over, causing me to look up from my hands I was buried in. She squats to my level and smiles sadly before hugging me so tightly I felt I might break apart but then again it was as if she was making sure I didn't fall apart completely.

Third person pov:

Officer Parker stays for a long time, after comforting the woman she sits back down and distracts her from her grieving. They talk about how they grew up and where they went to college. Before they know it, it's midnight, the officer sends a small wave and goes to walk outside. "Oh, I'm Candice by the way." She introduces herself.