27. I love yous

It's been two weeks since I've heard from Candice aside from the occasional text letting me know she is working late again. This case is really rough, I'm hoping she gets to have some time off once it's closed.
It's Monday morning and I have to take Ellie to school and get myself to work. Before I even have a chance to get out from under the covers I hear Ellie scream "mama" I jog into her nursery and lift her up. I change her diaper and clothes before taking her to the kitchen to have some yogurt and oats, I have some too with my cup of coffee.
Once we're done I bring Ellie upstairs with me while I get dressed, I play some music and we dance together. She's still sleepy but seems to enjoy dancing with her mama. Once I'm dressed I notice we're running late so rush Ellie to the car on my hip and buckle her in resulting in a meltdown. She hasn't had a meltdown in the car in so long. "I'm so sorry, bug" I whisper and kiss her head before closing her door and rounding the car to the drivers seat. I try to play tiny tunes for her but she doesn't have any interest and just cry's the whole car ride. Once I lift Ellie out of the seat she settles down making me think this is gonna be a hard day for her being away from me. I sigh and carry her into her class and set her things down before trying to hand her over to Miss. May but she clings to me "nuuu" she protests. "I'm so sorry I'm running late for work I won't have time to calm her down" I apologize to her teacher. She shakes her head assuring me it'll be okay. "Lovebug mommy will be back after work" i kiss her head and pry her little hands off my shirt. It's in that moment I realize I never let her nurse. I silently curse to myself, I think about what to do and decide I can't let her go without the comfort for the day even though I do have a bottle for her in her bag. I pick Ellie back up and let the teacher know we will be right back. I send my boss a text letting him know I'll be late today and go into the nursing room, I sit in the rocking chair and help Ellie latch. She suckles fast and strong "slow down angel it isn't going anywhere" she doesn't listen and continues her fast suckles. I feel awful I didn't give her milkies before breakfast this morning no wonder I had a fussy baby. I shake my head and rub her back until she finishes with a small burp. I pat her back and then carry her back to class, upon entering she wiggled to get down "puzzies" I spot a little playing with a puzzle and put her down near it. I watch her interact with another little for 10 minutes before I run out to work. The work day goes by especially slow, I only have to pump a few times. I can't help but get a pit in my stomach in the afternoon I can barely eat my lunch. I decided to leave early and pick up Ellie for some much needed baby cuddles. Once I arrive at the daycare and I'm about to walk inside when I get a call from an unknown number. I answer with a "hello" "Miss. valentine?" "Yes?" There's a pause "I have a Candice Parker in the hospital, she had a pretty bad bullet wound and broken bones. We noticed you are her emergency contact." "I'm on the way" is my only response as I pull the car into reverse and call my sister to pick up Ellie for the day.
I rush into the hospital and find the room number I was given upon arrival. When I walk into the room she is unconscious making tears flow from my eyes. "Oh gorgeous" I sigh and sit next to her bed and take her hand gently into mine. It feels like hours when I feel her hand squeeze mine back, I wake up from the small nap I was in to rub her arm.
Doctors have come and gone but this is her first time moving. She groans and smiles slightly when she sees me "hey" she says making me cry again "are you okay?" Is all I can get out. She nods slightly before I grab her head softly and kiss her forehead "is there anything I can get you?" She thinks for a moment before she asks for something to eat. I nod my head and tell her I'll be right back as I head to the cafeteria and get us both some sandwiches to eat. I didn't realize it was already 8pm I frown and think about Ellie. I walk back into the room with our food and we eat together, she falls back to sleep immediately after. I call Sheila and she says Ellie is having a meltdown "do you think she will make it through the night?" "Probably not" I answer knowing she doesn't have enough bottles and even if she did she hasn't spent the night without me. I leave Candice a note telling her I'll be back once Ellie is asleep and head to Shiela's house. When I walk in Ellie is reaching for me desperately, "hi babygirl mommy is here" I bounce her on my hip and take her to the spare room she will be sleeping in, I'm glad Sheila has a spare crib. I sit on the big bed and help her latch on while rubbing her back. Her sobs slow but she hiccups half way through before she rubs her eyes and starts to drift "wuv mama" is the last thing she says before falling asleep. I hold her for a while longer until she's fully asleep, I put her in the crib with her blankie and stuffy before putting her paci in her mouth. Shiela assured me they'll be okay if she wakes up and will call me, luckily the hospital is so close to her home. She also told me she had one more bottle and that she made a friend today in school. I'm so proud I can't wait for Ellie to tell me all about it. I leave and rush back to Candice's room, when I walk in she's surprisingly awake. "Hey it's getting late what are you doing up?" "I noticed you were gone and wanted to wait for you" she says with a yawn. I frown but walk towards the side of the bed "crawl in with me" she says while scooting over, I don't want to hurt her but I would love to cuddle her close. I finally cave and crawl in with her laying my head on the pillow next to hers and interlacing our fingers together. "How would you feel about moving in?" I ask suddenly I don't want her to be alone while healing or at all. "While I heal?" She asks "what about indefinitely?" I say making her eyes widen and she nods "I love you, Penelope" I gasp and kiss her as urgently as I can without hurting her "I love you, Candice" I mumble over her lips before I pull her into my chest and we fall asleep together.