Partners-F

Myoui Mina was walking next to her , MYOUI  MINA IS Next to her!

Chaeyoung still couldn’t believe that her name had been picked alongside hers when Miss Bae was assigning partners for their freshmen English project. 

They already spent nearly two hours together after school, picking a topic and trying to divvy up the work.  When they were chased out by the librarian, she tentatively asked if Mina would like to go to her house to continue, since she lived nearby. 

Chaeyoung wondered if Mina could tell that he was holding hed breath as she waited for an answer.

But Mina said yes!  And now she was walking.  Next to her.  On the way to her house.

Damn, Chaeyoung should have offered to carry her books or something.  That would have been the classy thing to do.  She stopped suddenly and turned, reaching out to stop her.

Her fingers grazed that little bone at her wrist, and it was the only expanse of exposed skin aside from her face.  Mina flinched and pulled back and Chaeyoung's palm caught against the rough fabric of her  mittens. 

“Sorry!” Chaeyoung quickly apologize dropping her hand to the side. “Uh, can I take that for you?”  She motions to Mina's backpack and the brunette shook her head, averting her eyes.  Chaeyoung took the hint and easily matched her brisk stride.

“Your hands are freezing” Mina said, her head still down.  “Don’t you have gloves?”

Chaeyoung had about a million pairs, she just never remembered to wear them.  She grabs them out of her pocket and put them on, again licking her lips in the process.

 She felt temporarily relief associated with running her tongue over her sore, cracked flesh, but then the harsh wind picks up and the sensitive skin burns with it. She needs to start remembering some lip balm, too.

When they arrived at her house, she walks ahead of Mina as they navigated down the long, cobblestone walkway leading to the wraparound front porch.  Once inside, Chaeyoung offered up a smile as she took Mina's coat, hanging it on one of the wall hooks near the door.

Your house is really nice,” Mina said timidly, her eyes darting around to take in the space.

“Thanks.  I, uh, built it myself.”  Chaeyoung jokes but Mina didn’t say anything else and she duck her head in embarrassment.  God, why was she such a dork?

She led Mina into the family room at the back of the house, and they settled in on the couch, each pulling out their notebooks and the photocopies from their library research.  It was so strange having the japanese here in her home, They sat on the sofa, reading their notes.

Chaeyoung knew Mina since kindergarten, and that was nearly a decade ago now, but this was probably the closest they’ve ever been.

She wondered if Mina even remembers her from back then. 

She had been such a shy little girl, with a body size of a pig, a stupid round face with perpetually pink cheeks.  She's been called all the fat names imaginable, even at home, even by her own mother.  But it still stung, it still hurt exquisitely every time someone teased.