Chameleons

The Madrigals walk out of their casita, chins up, backs straight. Señora Alma is the only one smiling. The one with short, curly hair is running in front and singing to some children. Everyone takes off in different directions, Julieta coming your way. You turn back to the seamstress stands and slap down some coins for the lace.

"Interesting choice of coloring." The seamstress looks up and down my own outfit along with the lace she lands you, careful not to touch your skin.

"It's for my Tia, she loves sewing. You like sewing too, right?" You dare to look into her eyes, because you love playing with townspeople like this. Anything in common with the L/N family is a no go in the Encanto.

"It's my job. Run along now, you're holding up the line." She drops your eye contact and greets the next person with a sweet, friendly smile. You wonder what it's like, having people who actually like you. Outside of your family, of course.

You make a pit stop on a hill overlooking the marketplace. The grass is soft, so you tear some from the ground and rip it into shreds. You pull some water out of the ground and separate the dirt and grime from the now fresh, clean water and drink it.

"Boo."

Let's say you hadn't been expecting that. You shoot up and bring your fist around to the "attacker". It hits them squarely in the nose.

The person you punched is a boy, well, teenager. He's around your age, has curly brown hair and matching eyes. His skin is a gorgeous shade of brown as well, but light and it glowed. He was kind of cute..

"I'm sorry! Are you okay?" You're concerned for this boy, until the realization hits you. You know this guy, saw him not even twenty minutes ago.

Coming out of La Casa Madrigal.

"I'm alright!" He was not alright. You might've broke his nose.

The Madrigal kid gets up and pinches his now bleeding nose. You almost feel bad.

He pulls out an arepa con queso from his pocket and takes a bit. The boys nose stopped bleeding and straightened out. Now you definitely didn't feel bad.

"The names Camilo." He extends his hand, and you don't take it. Just raise an eyebrow.

He drops his hand. "Can I get your name then? Considering you did break my nose." He tilts his head ever so slightly to the side.

You sigh. "Y/n. Pleasure meeting you." You turn and walk away.

"Hey wait!" He runs to catch up to you, but you turn the corner and thrust yourself onto someone's roof. You flatten out and look down. Camilo is scanning the street, but as you expected finds nothing. He slumps his shoulders and walks on. You get down from the roof, and re-enter the L/n household.

Tia Sophia greets you, taking the lace out from the bag and immediately begins sewing. Such a kind woman, your Tia. You take a seat by Maria and play dolls with her. You drench your doll in water and animate it in such a way that it looks alive, and act out a heroic adventure story of what's beyond the Encanto.

Papa walks in the room, and immediately everyone except Abuela and Tia Sophia line up and salute.

"The village along the southeastern side of the forest will be raided again tonight. You have an hour to prepare soldiers, we march in an hour." Papa says, and your elder brothers and cousins salute and walk away. Only you stay hesitant for a second, before rushing to speak with Papa.

"Papa, wait!" He turns to face you. "Papa, you don't have to go tonight. Help the village tomorrow, you said they were strong. Tonight is the Madrigal child's ceremony, you should be there. We need to connect with the people of the Encanto!"

"I understand your concerns, hija, but we must do our duty. If you wish to join us one day, you must understand that." He begins to walk away. You get in front of him and walk backwards.

"I do Papa! But"-

"Y/n. We march out in less than an hour." He walks into his room. "Please try to enjoy the ceremony tonight, and represent our family well."

With that, Papa shut the door in your face.