The Truths of the Past

"We're getting out of here?" Antonio breathes, hugging his father. You hadn't seen him so happy since the gifting ceremony. He snuggled up tight in his fathers chest and closes his eyes, relaxed.

"We're going to try. But I can't guarantee anything right now, the plan is still in the works." You had explained everything to the Madrigals, and slipped notes to the ones in isolation.

"Dolores will bring the girls in here?" Julieta asked, thinking of her daughters.

"Yep. At least, I hope she does. I gave her the key." You nod, excited to go over such an obscene idea. The plan is truly in motion.

"Is anyone else coming with us?" Camilo questions, the first time he's said anything but praise for you.

"Not that i'd planned to take, why?"

"Well, I know the Guzmans are here now, and uhm.." he blushes, "Lilith."

Oh heck to the no.

"You can kiss your idiot girlfriend goodbye, because she's never coming out of here. She can rot for all I care in this hellhole, so help me I'll strangle her myself if she dared even look at me-"

"Y/n! My god, Antonio's here!" Camilo angrily shushes you, looking to Antonio's grinning face. He pulls himself into a straight face too late. "Besides, I broke up with her already. I'm just worried about her because she's connected to us."

"Right, uhm, I mean.. she's not coming. On the other hand, the Guzmans might be something to consider. They're very close to you, and once they realize you're gone.. well, I wouldn't be surprised if they were interrogated first."

The adults understood interrogation. Luckily for you, Antonio didn't.

"That's okay! They don't know anything, so they can just go home." He happily agreed, laughing.

Interrogation means torture. Señora Guzman couldn't take much more, and Mariano would freak if she died. He's usually a very passive guy, but not when it comes to his mothers safety.

"They've got to come, it's only a matter of time before.." Augustine trails off, looking off into nothingness.

Everyone else in the room drops their gazes, staring at the floor, the ceiling, the wall. An untold fate floats through the air, one you don't know of.

"What? Until what?!" You fret, angry that you don't know of this fate, and worse that they won't tell you.

"Your father hasn't told you?" Mirabel whispers, her voice breaking. She clutches onto her mother, looking up into her eyes.

"Your father has decided to make a festival of our execution. We just don't know when." Alma rolls her eyes, not the least bit concerned.

"He's going to let everyone vote on who dies first. Make an example of us." Camilo cries, inching away from your side. You immediately wrap your arms around him, which he doesn't resist in the least.

"No, he won't. Because you'll all be safe and away." You remind them about their escape plan, although you know it's of no comfort.

"Y/n, would you give us a minute?" Bruno asks, flinching back as you turn to face him.

"Of course. I'll bring tonight's dinner and a bag. I know you don't have much here, but in the wilderness it's as valuable as gold." You gently peel yourself away from Camilo, which kills you, but exit the room.

Walking through the prison seems to always take longer than the last, because every time you bring goodies to the Madrigals and leave others in the dust.

You begin making the dinner- a plate of seasoned arepas and spicy red soup with jalapeños and other greens in it, along with baby corn. You have mixed feeling about spicy foods, but this one you can eat easily. Taking a small serving for yourself and one arepa, you carry it through the prison hurriedly.

After knocking on the door, you enter the cell in high spirits. Those spirits seem to travel to the Madrigals as they sip their dinner and munch on the bread.

You begin playing spin the bottle, although mix up the rules. A question is asked, and then the bottle is spun three times. All three must answer, but the last person to be picked by the bottle asks the next question and spins.

"What did you want to be when you were little?"

The bottle is spun, landing on Julieta, you, and Mirabel.

"I wanted to be a baker. Start my own little shop and decorate cupcakes for the rest of my life." Julieta honestly answers. "I got pretty close." She kisses Augustine on the cheek. "Y/n?"

"Well, I honestly just wanted to be a soldier. I'd seen my family get to go on these missions, saving peoples lives, seeing the world. It seemed perfect for me. The best part though, was that my father would be proud of me." You laugh, reminiscing in the old times. "Mira?"

"Hm. I never wanted to really be anything in particular. Just what you said Y/n, I wanted to make my family proud. Especially since I was the only one without a gift." Mirabel answers, more sad that it was meant to be.

"Not true Mira, you wanted to be a treasure hunter." Bruno says, catching everyone's attention. "You used to have that little treasure chest, remember? I'd fill it with candies or crayons or yarns for you to stitch and hide it."

"That was you?!" Mirabel exclaims, jumping back in shock. Everyone seemed to be interested in the story, since this seemed to be a secret. Bruno was not loving the attention.

"Well, yeah. Did you enjoy it at least?" He says, turning the eyes to Mirabel.

"That was after you left, Tio. You kept playing even when you were gone."

"Why don't you spin the bottle?" Bruno changes the subject, which everyone happily jumps on.

"Who was your first crush?" Mirabel asks, spinning the bottle. It lands on Alma, Julieta, and Camilo.

"Well, my first crush was Pedro. I'd never really though about men until I'd met him, since my mother was sick at the time. She died a little bit before we'd gotten engaged, but Pedro was there for me. That's how I knew he was the one. I loved him so much." Alma confides, making her seem almost human. You felt a strange connection to her, two women who'd lost their mothers.

You absolutely hated it.

Augustine looked at Julieta expectantly, grinning so bright he lit up the room.

"Sorry amor, but my first crush was Jośe." Julieta looks at him with fake apologies. Augustine looked totally betrayed.

"But he was my best friend!" He exclaims, appalled.

"You always got hurt while trying to impress me! So I kind of fell for the tough guy at first, until I realized I was going for the wrong guy all along. You were the man who did anything he could to get my attention, even get the freshest apples from the tree, only to be stung by bees. I'm glad I realized that sooner rather than later." She kisses him on the cheek, and all is forgiven. "Well, Camilo?"

"My first crush was Y/n."

Everyone gasped and turned to you. You could feel your face turning scarlet, your cheeks burning. Every eye in the room was on you, including Camilo.

"Your first crush was Lilith, wasn't it?" Alma shoots, her nostrils flaring.

"No, it was Y/n. Before you set me up with Lilith, I'd really liked her. When Mirabel didn't get a gift, I spied on Y/n using my shapeshifting ability to see if she'd get one. I saw her give her sandwich to a starving little boy and girl. Then she went back during the night and delivered them tons of food. Every day she only ate breakfast until that family was back on their feet and could pay for food themselves. After that, I'd liked her up until I started dating Lilith. Even a bit during I think." Camilo breathes.

"And now, too."