Lamentation

After Emilia left, a hush fell over the crowd. Alma stood at the stairs, while every eye turned on her. She couldn't confess to what she'd done.. after all the town loved her. The best Alma could do was lie.

"Emilia L/N confessed to trying to steal our magic!" Alma declared, her words hitting her mouth before her brain. "She tried to steal our magic, but failed, and she made her sons steal my children's gifts!"

The town didn't know what to say. Everyone knew Emilia was a good woman.. with two well behaved sons.

But the town also knew Alma, and has grown dependent on her leadership. Her children were better behaved than Dario and Pablo, but they were all so close.

One brave voice spoke.

"But Señora, why would Emilia want to steal your magic?" A young boy said, barely muttering the words.

"Our husbands both died, but she did not get the magic. I believe she is jealous of the Madrigals, and wants the power for herself. Please, do her no harm. She's just a confused woman, as we all are. We have all lost the ones dearest to us." Alma replied.

The village didn't do her any harm, although the people neglected and forever shunned the L/N family ever since.

"No!" You screamed, your hands flying over my mouth.

Murder someone? You always knew you'd kill someone one day, but always defending others! And even then, you wouldn't strike for the kill.

But Bruno said murder someone. Attack with the intent to kill. How could you do that? Anytime you train, you fight to injure or stun, never murder. Tears begin to swim around your eyes, threatening to overflow.

Bruno sees my discomfort, but you think he's not sure what to do. You don't want a hug- that would only worsen the situation. He nervously fidgets around, twiddling his thumbs again.

"I would've told Mama, erm.. Alma, the night I had the vision.. but I knew you. Pablo and I used to be best friends, although he doesn't remember it. Dario and I were good friends too, but he was closer with my sisters." Bruno says, not looking at me.

"That doesn't make sense. You knew my Papa and Tio, but not me." You reject.

"No, I knew you too. Some girls were making fun of a younger boy with a limp. You went up to them and started yelling at them until they left. Then you turned around and asked him to play catch, and played until sundown." Bruno ends with a small chuckle, remembering the moment.

"So.. you didn't tell Señora Alma about the vision because I was nice to a kid as a 4 year old?" You speculate, giving a chuckle yourself.

"It wasn't just that. I never hated your family, or you. You.. remind me of me. I don't just see the future.. I see people. Always have. Our gifts are given to us because of our personality. I saw underneath the show these people put on, I saw the kindness, or the hate."

You inhale sharply. You think about the hate you have towards the Madrigals.

Jealousy. Not hate, jealousy.

"Pepas always been.. emotional. Her mood influenced those around her, giving off energy. Julieta's always taken care of everyone, and what better way than her favorite hobby?" Bruno continues, smiling now.

Something lingers in the air. And it's not the dust.

"Mirabel.. she didn't have that personality. When she was younger, she was a very proud child. She had no doubts she would get a gift. I think it's better she doesn't have a gift." Bruno sighs. "Don't tell her I said that."

"I won't." You promise him.

"One more thing. You said Mirabel didn't understand the hate." Bruno begins again.

"She doesn't. I know she's faced hardships because she doesn't have a gift.. but she will never face the same burden my family does. We are hated because we do what's right. Because we acknowledge the truth, because these people are COWARDS!" Your voice raises to a shout, and you stand.

Bruno raises an eyebrow. You sit back down, looking at the floor.

"I'm sorry. The whole town hates my family.. they hate me. I'm polite, I play nice with children, I'm well behaved! I don't understand what I did wrong. Nearly fifty years of our families fighting.. I didn't do anything wrong!" Tears begin to spill out of my eyes. "I didn't do anything wrong.."

This is so embarrassing. You're sitting here crying, in front of a rat man. This was not how you envisioned the day to go. If you don't save the magic OR kiss Camilo, this won't be worth it.

Did Ijust say.. kiss Camilo?! Okay okay okay.. I really need to get these fantasies out of my head. Camilo.. is perfect. But his power, his life even, might be in my hands. I need to be impartial.. or I'll just hurt him.. like I hurt everyone. Your mind slips into darker thoughts, although you continue fantasizing about Camilo. You suddenly remember where you are, and look back up at Bruno.

"Bruno.. I'm sorry. It's insensitive, I know." You apologize to him.

"It's not. You're right, you have it the worst. Out of everyone in this town, you're the one who feels the most pain. I see that." Bruno replies. "You're special. Trust me when I say that you, and you alone, will change the way this town thinks." Bruno encourages.

"Now go home. Your family needs you."

You stand, feeling confident. You give a swift nod, and exit. You take one look back, Bruno is standing with his rat buddies. He gives one last thumbs up, and walks back though the halls.

You run the entire way home.

"Y/n!" Maria shouts, echoed by the rest of the family.

You're surrounded with hugs back pats on the back by your family. Someone claps. Marco tilts his head back and shouts "Yeah!" Eduardo lifts you onto his shoulders, and carry's you into the house.

The house in which Papa was waiting for you.