Condenada

Camilo held your new child in his arms, rocking it slowly until it was time to put it in its crib.

Mama was enraged. After the ceremony, she screamed at you for wanting a child.

"Eternal Fire doesn't give children to someone who didn't want one! Why on earth would you do this to yourself?" She berated you, and no matter how much you insisted that you didn't want a baby, she still blamed you.

"I don't know what to do! We're not even going to be in the Encanto for that long anyway." You argue back, tired after dealing with a child all day.

It was a little boy, named Cesar. He was adorable, really, but there was no way you'd be able to raise it.

Especially now that the summoning of Deity was so soon. The child might not even exist in the future.

You were so ready to meet Deity. You missed Mirabel, your family, the Madrigals, everyone. You missed the smell of Casita, the sound of the rushing river. Everything just seemed so lonely without it.

Empty.

You don't know what Eternal Fire wanted with you, or why it would give you a child. You just knew you couldn't be a parent.

"Listen, Mama, we need to prepare for Deity. What do I need to bring her?" You ask, trying to forget about the little boy in the crib next to you.

"Bring her a gift, something beautiful, like a necklace. She wont accept it, but instead ask you for something pure. That's why we needed Evita's heart. It was pure." Mama says, regret plastered on her face.

"Mama.. do you ever feel bad about.. killing her?" You whisper, looking down.

"Of course I do." Mama sighs, tearing up. "Murder is never a solution I would choose. But it's what Deity asked of me, and I had to save my baby."

"Oh.." Is all you can say, twiddling your thumbs.

"Speaking of which, how is my baby?" Mama grins, ready to hear all the stories about her lively child.

You forgot you didn't tell Mama everything.

"Uhm.. she's well. When we left, she was playing with Antonio, he's a year younger than she is. The families are.. broken, and they couldn't come with me. But we're trying to fix our Encanto!" You lié, smiling through the real memories.

"Oh, how wonderful. I can just imagine her little laugh, it's just like yours, you know. Oh, and my sons.. I can't wait to get to see them." Mama laughs, her eyes glowing in remembrance.

"Yeah. She'll be waiting for you when this is all over." You laugh, a fake laugh that you'd acquired through saying goodbyes for years.

"Hey, Y/n, you should write a book about this! The Encanto would love it." Camilo said.

"Oh, please. Who the heck would read this book? Whoever would read this must either be single and crushing on you, or really be anticipating underage smut." You laugh, wondering what weirdo would ever want to read your autobiography.

"I'm sorry what now!?" Mama stares at the both of you, promptly pulling you away from Camilo.

"Relax, Mama. Nothings happened." You assure her, be she still looks skeptical of you.

"Anyway. Deity. What should I ask of her? If I only have once chance.. what could I possibly say to fix it all?" You ponder, searching through your memories.

"Ask for the Encanto to come back." Mama suggests.

"It won't bring everyone back. We'd die off." You remind her.

"Ask for the war to have never happened." Camilo nudges you.

"It'll happen someday. Delaying the war will only increase pressure for the release." You shake your head.

"Well, you better figure it out soon, because we're gonna be doomed if she arrives and you have nothing to tell her." Mama snaps, getting up and opening a window.

You and Camilo stare into each others eyes.

You know she's right.

Every wonderful memory you have seems to come flooding into your mind. Watching sunsets with Maria. Sewing awful hats while Tia Sophia assures you they're beautiful. Annoying Marco until he agreed to let you tag along with his friends. Cisco teasing you by twisting your hair, getting closer than Papa would've liked. Meeting up with Lochland in secret in dark alleyways, simply to deliver food to starving families.

The Madrigals praising you, like a daughter.

Mirabel.

Oh, Mirabel.

How you miss your honorary sister, wondering how she could possibly survive much longer in the Encanto.

And Camilo.

Those nights alone in the woods, in the dark, lit only by the flames of the glowing fireplace.

And your powers.

Oh, how natural they felt, when you would be one with nature. Water was never cold, fire never burned you. The earth and the air was a part of you, just how you are a part of it.

Mama is right.

You're all doomed.