A Visit from Mama Through Your Memories

"Tonight, we free the Madrigals from their hell, and reestablish the hope long since forgotten!" Solomon cheers, raising a freshly poured glass of water in confidence.

After four long hours of brutal work under an overbearing sun, consisting of a colorful flow of pink and gold streamers, enough tables for a royal dining room, freshly made arepas set out in the unforgiving sun, drinks such as coffee and lemonade, the work is almost done.

You, of course, have a role to play as well. Under the suggestion from Laura, Solomons stressed and overworked mother, you agreed to shoot fireworks in Isabella's honor into the sky.

That made for a perfect cue to meet with Cisco and Lochland, and commence the so carefully thought out treason. As if it was even treason, more like disobeying a dictator. Even if that dictator was your father.

"Cheers!" You all laugh, downing the drinks like shots.

"What are we cheers-ing without me?" A voice creeps up from behind you, causing you to jump and drop the empty glass. With a swift whoosh, the glass was gone.

You turn around, squinting because of the sun, while Marco readjusts himself to shade your eyes. You slowly stand, the boys behind you doing the same, and stupidly stare.

"What? If this is about me hooking up with Angelica Rojas, I swear that's just a rumor."

That snaps you out of your gaze.

"You hooked up with the Rojas chick?! She's smells like she bathes in sweat!" You freak, inching closer to him as he shrinks away.

"Of course not! She's been obsessed with me since 2nd grade! Not to mention she's got more in common with Fish Lady's pigs than me-"

"Hey! We don't talk about girls like that!" You interrupt, sternly scolding him.

"Well, I'm not wrong."

"Of course you're not wrong, we just don't say it out loud." You can't help but giggle. Angelica, in particular, is kind of a crazy. Not the good crazy, either.

"Well? What's the celebration?" Marco skeptically looks at you, along with the other boys. "Did Dominic finally get a girlfriend? That would be a celebration." Marco laughs, while Dominic takes a swing at him.

"Just to a hard days work. Isabella's gonna be the happiest little five year old in the world!" You grin, knowing the lie is almost too fake.

"Four, she's turning four." Solomon corrects.

"Four year old. Right." You've long since given up keeping track of all the children. Once, they asked you to babysit. How hard could it be? They've got "a lot," but that's not so bad, right? You hadn't expected to be greeted by 21 kids, all alone. To make a long story short, you never went back.

Papa calls Marco and you over to him, evidently there's more work to be done. You sigh, say goodbye to the boys, and jog over with Marco. He could've been there in an instant, but he's not a show off. Besides, he likes the company.

"You two go home, get our present, and meet back here in two hours." Papa instructs, waving the two of you off, then doing the same for a few others.

The jog home is one filled with chatter, as Marco is definitely your favorite brother.

"So, what's the deal with you and Luisa? Hm?" You poke him, giggling.

"Nothing. She's just cool, that's all." Marco shrugs, not giving you the answer you want.

"Oh it's just that she said- well, never mind." You fight hard to keep a straight face.

"She said what? Was she talking about me?!" He freaks out, running backwards now to stare into your eyes.

"Oh nothing." You step into the house, heading into your room. You stick you head out the window, pull water into your room and into the tub, and stick your hands in. You wait five minutes until it's steaming hot to put some epsom salt into it.

You strip, toss the clothes into a laundry hamper, and slowly get settled into the freshly made bath.

Tonight will go smoothly. It really, really will, nothings gonna stop us.

For some reason, a deep memory of Mama flashes though your brain. You close your eyes, wanting to see it.

Six years ago..

Maria had just been born. You'd finally been able to see her and the new baby. Abuela had been cuddling with you the whole time, keeping up an excited chatter, trying to distract you from Mama's strained moans and yells.

Everyone had been ready to say hello, but no one was more ready than you. You rushed into the room barely a second after the door was opened. Mama was on a bed, Papa holding her hand. His forehead was pressed against hers, they were both smiling.

Maria had been brought into the room, cleaned of all blood and tissue that had covered her before. She was placed into Mamas arms, although you quickly scooped her up.

Mamas face was flushed, exhausted. "Say hello to Maria. You gotta take care of her, okay?" She said, before passing out. You payed more attention to Maria, the perfect baby who you now held. Hell yes, you're gonna take care of her.

You look back at Mama, her face still flushed and shiny, but relaxed and beautiful. Her hair was plastered to her face as she breathed slowly, perfectly. Mama was pale, but her skin shone like diamonds.

You wished you could remember her that way.

Now you can only picture her dismembered, stabbed, decapitated, and much worse dead. You hated the fact you couldn't see her anymore.

You calmly made your way out of the warm water, dried off, and put on your evening clothes. You tied back your hair into a loose, messy bun, making sure it was filled with curls.

You slumped down on your bed, arms spread out wide, drifting off in your thoughts.

"Y/n! It's time for the party!" Papa called up at you, jolting you out of your stupor.

It's time.