Frozen

When you awaken, you're soaked in freezing water. Around you, small puddles flood the dirt, soft mud coating your skin and back. It must've rained overnight.

Careful not to wake Camilo, you scoot away from him, slipping downhill in the mud. The sky is cloudy grey, the strange cold stoning your skin, goosebumps rising along your arms. Such a drastic difference from yesterday, when the sweltering heat made you beg for the cold. Now, you're wishing for the heat.

Simple fix.. you think, bending the mud off of you, revealing nice, fresh clean clothes.

Oh, wait.

Damnit. You internally curse, forgetting about your lack of bending. Something so natural you were still adjusting to not having. As if you'd lost a part of you.

A part of your soul.

Emptiness fills the gaps between your fingertips and your long lost magic. At first, you didn't care too much. You were missing your family, coping with the loss of everything else.

Now, you feel lonelier than ever.

You snap out of your trance, determined to find a river to clean yourself in. You know one snakes through the Encanto, but you'd strayed away from the river after it took a sharp curve east. Regret covers you like the mud on your skin and clothing.

You stalk through the thick underbrush, swinging your machete to leave a clear trail back to camp. Attracted to the sound of rushing water, you come across a towering waterfall pouring into an abundant  rapid, a small pool forming to the side.

Perfect.

You carefully peel your clothes off, plunging into the river. It was freezing, but you had to get the muck off of you.

Once submerged, you begin to scrub with nothing but your fingernails, and begin to appreciate the cold. It was refreshing, to have something wash away the sweat and grime.

You miss Maria. Like the sea grass, she bobs into your mind, your chest constricting. She was so innocent. So.. free. Instead of being sad, a part of you is glad she's dead. That she missed the suffering and torture. How she didn't even have to see Papa, her guardian angel, turn into a corrupt dictator, the villain of the story.

And when you bring her back, you'll never have to see her tortured, of covered in the midnight tattoos that meant sure death.

Marco will be there too. And Mama. And Papa and Abuela and Dolores and Lochland.

"Y/n?" Camilo's voice echos through the trees.

You submerge until only your nose is sticking out of the water, your eyes focused on the trees. You see Camilo's yellow, (now covered in brown) ruana, and hope he doesn't see you.

That hope died.

"Hey Y/n!" Camilo's voice rang cheerful, and he made his way over to the edge of the riverbank.

"Uhm.. hi Camilo!" You grinned, grateful for the muck covering your.. everywhere.

"The water must be terrible, how're you just sitting there?" Camilo kneeled down, sticking his fingers into the water.

You wish you had your bending. You would've smacked him with the water.

"No, it's pretty warm once you get in. Wasn't too different from the weather this morning." You say, lifting some sand to keep covering your..self.

"Oh cool, I'll hop in too." Camilo grins

"No!" You practically scream, all too loudly. "I mean, uh, there's still a couple things at camp.. so could you head back, I'll be there in a minute."

"Aw. Alright, I'll see you soon." Camilo disappears into the trees.

You let out a sigh of relief, wanting nothing more than to get your clothes on. You break the surface, surprisingly warmed by the air. You wished you'd brought a towel, but put your clothes on anyway, and jumped in once more.

The cold won't last, the heat will take over.

You ran back through the forest to Camilo, squish sounds accenting every step.

"Ready to keep moving?" Camilo tossed you your backpack.

You catch it, hastily spinning around to get it on your back.

"Yep."

You barely take a step before something feels off. You can't explain it, but the woods almost feels alive.

You take Camilo's hand, keeping him close to you. You scan the woods, but see nothing.

An arrow flies straight towards Camilo's face. You swiftly catch the arrow and pull Camilo to a crouch on the ground, as three other arrows fly over you.

You whip out your machete, circling around Camilo, your back to him. Eyes forward, you notice eyes peering through bushes and treetops.

Four young men, most likely just of age, jump out of the green, rushing toward you. Their eyes were covered in black paint, their clothes to match that of the wood.

"Let's go!" Camilo shouts, sprinting toward the opposite direction.

You stand your ground, getting into a defensive position. You could take them. You think.

Even if you couldn't, Camilo could get a head start out of there.

"STOP!"

The men halt in their tracks, looking back toward where they came. This time, a middle aged woman came out of the woods.

"She has Farga's eyes."

She knows Mama.

"What do you know of my mother?" You shout, still holding your position.

From behind you, Camilo doesn't dare move.

"I am Renata. Farga is one of my best friends. You must be Y/n."

"That's correct."

"Tell me, is that your brother with you?"

"No, he's.." You look back at Camilo, unsure of what to call him. "My friend."

"Why hasn't your family joined you?"

"They're either in prison, or dead. I'm the only one who hadn't been in either."

Renata takes a moment to process the words. Clearly Mama hasn't told her about the deity, or the curse.

"I don't understand. I thought your Encanto was peaceful." She shakes her head.

"It was."

"Come with us. We will feed you, heal your wounds. Then we shall escort you to our Encanto."

Renata turns, and disappears into the forest. The four men follow her, and you race to catch up with her, forgetting about Camilo.