The Best Gift of All

Maria sits still, her lips puckered out and her eyes tightly shut. You pick out a natural pink lipstick with a purple undertone and start applying it to her lips.

This morning was picture day for children aged 1-10 in the Encanto for school. Maria had (horribly) applied her own makeup, looking like a clown rather than the "princess" she claimed to have replicated.

Your parents had insisted she remove it all, but you promised her you'd do some natural makeup for her. Sure, she's 6, but some mascara and blush couldn't hurt. It's not like Maria will wear it everyday.

You apply the lipstick and a little bit of gloss. She examines herself in the mirror, grinning wildly.

"Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!" She squeals, hugging you tightly. You lift her up, taking her downstairs.

"Just promise you'll smile like that in our pictures!" You tickle her while she struggles to get down.

You finally release her, letting her run downstairs and put her shoes on. You sigh, heading into your backyard, when Tia Sophia stops you.

"Y/n! You have a visitor!" She shouts.

"Tell them to come in!" You yell back, getting up to go see who it is.

The sight is so beautiful.

Camilo stands at your front door, holding flowers and chatting with your Mama. She's smirking, trying to hide the smile beneath it.

"Camilo? What are you doing here?" You ask, moving over to the door frame.

"I said I didn't know you. Not that I didn't want to."

You blush, mouth open, then you regain your composure.

"So this is officially me asking you on a date." He says, awkwardly offering the flowers to you.

You accept them immediately, sniffing them.

Ew. They smell nasty.

"They smell so good! Thank you. Why don't you come in, I'll put these in a vase and change, then we can head out." You offer, gesturing for him to come inside.

You hurry to find a vase, fill it with water, and set the flowers inside. With a quick wave, you fly up the stairs, finding the prettiest outfit you can while still being causal. You settle on a white jumper and put a f/c short skirt to go over it. You attempt to braid your hair, but it's so messy you just throw it in a low bun. With the leftover makeup from earlier with Maria, you apply just enough to hide any imperfections you have.

Perfect.

You rush downstairs, almost tripping and falling. That would've been embarrassing.

When you turn the corner, you stop dead. All 7 men have their chests puffed out, muscles flexing, being as intimidating as possible while in a half circle around Camilo. Fourteen pairs of eyes glare at him while he stands in the middle of their half circle.

"We will give you two a moment of privacy." Mama demands, shooing the boys a look that tell them to scatter or face the music.

"I won't." Papa booms, although is quickly dragged off by Mama pulling his ear.

You stifle a laugh, shaking your head and leading Camilo to your front yard.

"What do you want to do?" You ask him, shooing away a bee that flew at you.

"I was kind of hoping you'd think of something." Camilo drops his gaze, embarrassed.

A second bee flies over, this time landing on your clothes. You swat it away as well, and it settles on a bush.