Confessions of the Heart

Valeria and Vanessa were such strange girls. They never cried, wouldn't even speak. Twins weren't rare in the Encanto, but this pair was the strangest of all. Twin telepathy, in their case, was almost real. Eye contact wasn't even essential. One subtle difference between the two, however, was their nervous twitches. Valeria twitches her left thumb when she's nervous, while Vanessa twitches her right.

Directly after Luisa opened her door, Valeria and Vanessa had danced with some children, and continued dancing even when the music stopped. Townsfolk had been staring for a while, as the twins danced with invisible companions. Even as three year olds, they danced well.

The boy the twins had danced with said one thing. They lifted their heads up high to reveal red rings around their necks. They said one thing.

"Hanging."

The twins announced this for everyone to hear. An elderly woman gasped, and asked their names. The twins turned to the invisible boys, and answered. The woman broke down crying, wailing so loud it could be heard outside the Casita. After a short cross examination, the town found out the boy was the woman's firstborn son, one killed in a brutal children's massacre several years before the Encanto was created. Señora Alma tried to calm everyone down, but couldn't. Luisa's night had been ruined, not to mention overshadowed. It was the last, and first, celebration where the entire town witnessed the beginning of a gift.

"Y/n, we need to talk."

You stood there, stunned. On the bright side, she didn't seem to blame Mirabel for the disaster our proposal. On the down side.. well.. she must blame you.

You and Mirabel exchange glances, her eyes filled with both dread and relief. You don't mind the relief, but the dread scares me.

"Follow them." You say, gesturing towards the rats. "Go! Before they get away!" You shoo her away. Mirabel takes one glance back as she runs.

You turn back to Isabella. "So.. what do you want to talk about." You ask.

Isabella shakes her head and takes your hand. She wraps vines around you, lifting you both up to her room. You try to protest, but she covers your mouth and points. Your turn and see Señora Alma shouting at Pepa, although Felix tries his best to defend her.

Isabella nudges you, pulling you into her room. You can't help but admire the coloration, the amount of flowers and spotlight that always seems to follow Isabella. She's fidgeting now.. her hands are behind her back.

"I-I brought you in here because I need to confess something." Isabella says, standing up straighter. "But first, I need to know I can trust you."

"Hit me." You say, taking a seat in a chair made of roses. You fall straight through. "Aaugh jeez." You jump up and just stand.

Isabella sighs. "Tell me why you and Mirabel have been conspiring against my family."

You stifle a laugh. Isabella raises her eyebrows, and takes a defensive stance.

"We haven't been conspiring against anyone. What we've been saying is the truth, and something's happening to the miracle." You truthfully answer. You think Isabella believes you.

"Okay.. well what about tonight? What was everyone whispering about?" Isabella counters, almost refuses to acknowledge the truth.

"I'm not sure exactly what was said, but probably something against the whole 'Mirabel and Y/n want to destroy the magic' thing that everyone thinks is happening." You explain.

Isabella seems to relax, then fidget again. Your eyes follow her as she begins pacing, as if fighting some invisible battle.

"Do you ever feel like.. like you have to be the best? Live up to a certain standard?" Isabella asks. "Or- or like in order to please someone, you have to be someone you're not." You think of Papa, of your family. You always compete to have a name, a title. You act happy, but also carry the weight of your family's name wherever you go.

"Yeah, I-"

"Well I've been feeling that lately. A-and I don't know how to stop it. I almost did something I regret because of it! I can't tell anyone, because then.." she trails of and sighs. "Because then I won't be perfect."

"Isabella Madrigal.. I don't know what to say to you. To me, you are perfect. You are, well, you. I've always tried to make everyone around me happy, and you do it so flawlessly. But if there's something you need.." You inhale, and continue. "I'm here for you. I don't know you, but I'm here for you." You proudly finish.

Isabella stands there. She gazes at you, and inhales. "Well.. I think.. no. I know! I'm.. uhm.. I like girls." Isabella says. "Like, I like girls."

Now it's your turn to be confused. Isabella is with Mariano.. that's her choice, right? You think of earlier, of your confusion with the pairing of the two. Maybe..

"You.. like girls..? Oh!" Realization hits you. "You're lesbian!" You almost shout. Almost.

"Shh!" Isabella shushes you, but is very careful not to touch you. "Yes, I am. But Abuela wants me to be perfect, marry the perfect man, and have lots of children, which I can't do if I'm.. you know." She rushes through the words, and avoids saying she is lesbian.

"Why.. why are you telling me?" You question. You've never really come across anyone who's gay before. In the Encanto, that's looked down upon. You sigh, realizing a problem with our little town. It's grew to one standard, and don't actually accept any outsiders. That's why your family, Mirabel, and other community members are patronized for being different.

"I don't know why I told you. Maybe because you're not in my family.. your opinion- no offense, doesn't matter. I just needed someone to know." Her voice suddenly breaks, and she stands there, about to cry.

You wrap your arms around her, and she rests her chin on your head. You sense water spilling down, and realize that she's actually crying.

"Hey.." You begin, not sure what to say. "You are Isabella Madrigal. You serve your community every day.. and we love you. I will not tell anyone. But if you ever do open up... and they don't accept you, then they're the ones who have a problem." You finish, looking up at her.

"Thank you." She whispers, barely even audible.

There's a sharp knock on the door.

"Isabella? I'm coming in amor." The voice of Señora Alma calls.