A Single Tear

Farga hid inside the willow tree, hidden by the flowers and branches that have bloomed. She sat for hours, well past sundown.

Farga's peace is interrupted by a snapping twig, and the sound of a body being heaved into higher elevations.

"Relax amor, its me." Dario laughed, showing a gleaming smile, masking the sadness behind it.

Farga laughs, holding his hand and snuggling closer to him. "Aye amor, what's going to happen?"

Dario's smile vanishes, as he tightens his grip on her. He sits for a moment, staring at nothing but her beauty. His lips caressed her cheek, before passionately kissing her.

"We'll protect you. They'll come for you, but you're always going to be safe." Dario promises, refusing to consider the alternative.

"No. The whole family will be in danger that way. I'll have to leave. Forever. Don't let the children know.." Farga says, tears in her eyes.

Warmth engulfs your body, your mind, your soul. The sound of rain washing over the roof keeps you asleep, a singe candle lit in the middle of the room where you lay.

A sharp clap of thunder wakes you, though you are gradual to move or open your eyes. You're aware of constraints pinning down your arms and legs, and a simple strap wrapping around your rib cage. You stir and groan, before finally opening your eyes.

The first thing you see is the candlelight, inhaling sharply as the smell of lemongrass wafts into your nose, soothing you. Your lips turn upward, knowing the twins must've put this in here for you.

The twins.

The family.

"Oh good! You're up!" A shaken voice says.

You shift over to see Julieta, slumped down in an old wooden chairs. The bags under her eyes mimic Bruno's, deep and dark like a vast cave.

"Señora! What happened?" You wonder, taking another peek around the room.

"Camilo pulled you out from under the debris, but he said you'd been passed out when he got to you. We thought you were going to die." She trails off, avoiding your gaze.

You think back to when you'd been suffocating under the rubble. The vision you'd had almost seemed like death, although you must've come back.

"What happened after that?" You pry, leaning forward, although you can't get to far because of the straps.

"Oh, here let me get those for you." She says, striding over towards you and unbuckling your constraints.

"After Camilo brought you over to the rest of us, your family came and collected us." Julieta shivers, before fumbling with a small bags strings.

"Us? Señora, who else is here? Dolores? Luisa?" You blush, before adding, "Camilo?" You think of some other possibilities. "Isa? Mirabel?"

"Mirabel's been missing. So has my mama." Julieta whispers, tears welling up into her eyes.

She rips open the bag and pulls out a container of soup. She digs further into the bag and draws out a spoon, ask if preparing to eat lunch.

She opens the container, dips in the spoon, and feeds you a small sip of the soup. The spice burns your mouth, and eventually your throat. You swallow, and for the first time realize how hungry you are. Your stomach growls fervently, and you clench it tight.

The injuries on your skin feel like an icey bliss, before fading all together. You sigh in relief and close your eyes, breathing in the candle's scent once again.

"How long was I out?" You wonder aloud, forgetting Julieta was there.

"Four days." She frowns.

"Can I see Camilo? Since he pulled me out I'd like to thank him."

"No dear, I don't think he wants to see you right now." She narrows her eyes, before standing to ring a bell on the door.

Your Tio Pablo comes into the room, glaring at Julieta, although beaming at you. His side of the family enters, along with Abuela.

They ask how you feel, what had happened, and you try to explain the best you can. But how can you explain dying, and coming back from the dead? Nor kissing Camilo, not only your first kiss but your family's biggest rival? You decide to leave those parts out.

The family listens so closely, you feel as if they are trying to read your mind, absorbing every last detail. When the part about Maria came around, tears began running down your eyes, and soon your family mimicked you.

You finished with a sigh, examining your families faces. You notice Pablo and Julieta are gone, vanishes like a wisp of smoke. You stroke the gown you've been put in, hopefully by one of the twins.

"Can I have a minute with Y/n..?" Abuela demands, and a hush creeps around the room. Shoulders sink, eyes dart to a neighbor or to the floor. Swiftly but silently, your family creeps out of the room.

"Julieta, please come back in." Abuela says towards the door, and you hear the sound of metal scraping.

"I'm here, Señora." Julieta shakes, staying away from the pair of you.

"Y/n, you might want to put your straps back on. I'm sorry amor, but it's for your safety and everyone else's." Abuela apologizes, not moving.

You begin to fret, taking in the situation. What would they possibly be doing that not only Julieta needs to be here.. but Abuela wants to strap you down? You quiver, nodding your head although you don't understand what's going to happen.

"Amor.. I know Maria was your world. She loved you very much, nothing can change that. Nothing. Not even death." She says grievously, carefully saying every word.

Your heart sinks. Your muscles tense, breathing becomes heavy. A weight forms in your chest, threatening to explode. You feel something running through your veins, almost like another creature themselves.

"Abuela.. please." You choke, tears spilling over your eyes. You understand now why you had to be strapped down. Because you felt the pain, the mourning. But it was another creature who reacts.

"Y/n.. I'm sorry. Maria.. didn't survive the blow. She's in heaven now." Abuela wails. "My grand-baby is in heaven now."

Your mind seems to leave your body, watching the scene play out. The creature inside you takes over, throwing your head back and letting out a scream of pure sorrow, creating random flurries of power. This was unlike any storm ever made before. The flames heated the room in a matter of seconds, forcing Julieta and your Abuela to run, their horrified faces filled with regret. Neither wanted to leave, but they knew if they stayed, they would be killed.

You try escaping the straps by ripping, burning, clawing them, but nothing works. You continue screaming, nobody there to help you. You wish you'd chosen to go through Lilith's door, to wherever your afterlife would've been.. with Maria.

The creature dies after a while, leaving an exhausted, worn out body. Burns and cuts are at your wrists, after effects of the wasteful attempts at escape. Your mind renters the body, leaving you heartbroken and empty.

A single tear is shed.