Carnage

You whip around, water splashing all around you.

Camilo is on the ground, soaking wet, although you can't tell if it's from sweat or the water. He and Deity are in a handshake, although now it looks like an arm wrestle.

"Camilo!" You shriek, splashing your way over to them.

"Don't worry, child, this will only take a moment." Deity assured you, unfazed by the tortured boy before her.

A golden stream flows from the center of Camilo's eyes, down his nose and through his arm. They swirl around like dust and little Mariposas floating with faces on the wings.

The faces are of you, throughout nearly every stage of your life. Memories that he'd forgotten, before he was even conscious as a person, ride in the wings. You even recognize a baby you in mamas arms.

"Agggggggggggggggggggh...." Camilo cries, his tears turning yellow, mixing with the stream.

"Stop it! Stop it, you're hurting him please stop!" You beg, dropping down into the water, trying to pull his arm away.

"Dearest it's too late. Don't worry, it's done in three.."

Camilo's pupils glow orange, his irises turning a striking shade of honey, growing lighter and lighter.

"Two.."

The white of his eyes can be seen behind the orange and gold, nearly transparent.

"One.."

Deity releases him of his bond. He collapses to the ground, unmoving.

"Camilo!" You shriek, dropping down next to him.

"So, are you ready to go home?" Deity asks, checking her nails.

"Yes." Tears stream down your eyes, checking Camilo's pulse. He's alive. "Let us go home."

"Us?" Deity looks surprised, looking between you and the unconscious boy your cradling.

"Oh, uh, Camilo and I." You say, feeling bad, knowing she can't leave.

"He can't go home. He'll be so broken." Deity explains, her tone upsetting.

"What do you mean?! We have to go home! Together!" You shout, clutching Camilo tighter.

"If you take him home, he'll go crazy. Don't you know anything about memory-magic?" Deity is angry now, the atmosphere becoming dark.

"You erased his memories of.." You look down, the words toxic in your mouth. "Me."

"Not just memories. Wishes, fantasies, but the muscle memory isn't gone. Every thought he's ever had about you is gone, but physically he remembers you."

"So what?" You roll your eyes.

"So, the mind and body are separate beings. It will drive them crazy trying to compete with each other. Not to mention the pressure this kid faces." Deity makes it clear.

"So he'll kill himself over me."

"Yes."

"But everyone else will never know this happened."

"Only you two."

"Unless he's dead, then he'll be reset with everyone else." You blurt, looking down at Camilo's face.

His expression changes from tired to horror, as he lies cradled in your arms, paralyzed by exhaustion.

"If he's.. dead.. yes.." Deity frowns.

Salt stings your eyes, searing tears water cascading down your cheeks. You never wanted to do this.

It was the last step to saving the Encanto. It needed its little shapeshifter.

Cold metal materialized down your forearm, an elaborate designed wood handle in your palm.

Deity nods, Camilo shakes his head, his moth gaping open. In a rush of adrenaline, he pushes you off of him, splashes up, attempting to run away.

In one swift movement, you shoot up, grab him by the wrist, yank him, making him face you.

Plunging the magical dagger straight into his stomach. Ripping it out.

Watching the life leave his eyes.