Earthquakes Underfoot

"We're ready?" You ask, sweeping your eyes over your travel companions.

You'd decided to take Filipe. After all, 100 miles isn't so far. He's a good kid, wouldn't cause too much trouble.

Mirabel's rocking her pants, regular khakis with tons of design patterns recreated from her skirt. She displays a regular white shirt tucked into her pants by a dark brown belt. A lace black choker ties around her neck, her curls into a frizzy, loose ponytail with two curls in front masking bangs.

Camilo's in his usual clothes, minus the ruana. He's also got his hair in a ponytail, and closed toed shoes instead of his usual sandals.

You're in somewhat a mix of both. You're in a khaki skort, which apparently is the theme around here. Mirabel did a little sewing on your apparel as well, but not much could be done on such little fabric. Still, she made it beautiful. You're wearing a matching white shirt, along with the gold locket from your mother. Your pocketknife rests on your hip, the machete on the other.

Three dark brown backpacks sit loaded with supplies.

Everything is in place. Little Filipe's matching Camilo, except no ponytail. His hair isn't long enough for that.

You've allowed Filipe a weapon, he's not so little after all. What happens if he's separated, and needs firewood? Or someone in a random village tries to kidnap him?

"Hey, you look tense." Mirabel placed a hand on your shoulder, looking into your eyes.

"I'm alright, just nervous. We should be heading out soon, right?" You say, taking one last look at your room.

"Right now, actually. Everyone should be at work, this is our chance to slip out." Camilo reads from a chart, swiftly folding and placing it into his pocket.

You take Filipe's hand, taking the lead for your small group to move. Nobody talks, just follow your footsteps as you envision the backroads of the Encanto, now hardly recognizable.

You take two steps off of the road, preparing to hike up the hill.

The ground beneath your feet begins to shake, although only for three or so seconds. You pass it off as a minor earthquake, those aren't uncommon in Colombia.

You turn around, watching Camilo help Mirabel from the ground, some of the grass still on her back. You turn her around and wipe it off, then continue.

As you hike up the mountains, the earthquakes happen more often, and more violently. Once, you even tumbled backwards down the hill, every stick and stone stabbing you like knives.

You don't understand what's happening, why the quakes are getting so angry.

"Come on! There's a small opening up ahead, if the trees fall we're in danger!" Camilo yells, taking Mirabels hand and practically dragging her ahead.

You scoop Filipe into your arms and sprint after them, hopping over several fallen logs. You nearly tumble over, but the instinct driving you to the clearing is too strong.

When you get into the clearing, you collapse to the ground, getting Filipe under you, shielding him with your body. His arms are behind his neck, and your arms are around yours.

The quake lasts for another minute, several more trees falling. Once it stops, you stay on the ground until you're positive they're over.

Camilo helps you up, along with Filipe. Mirabel sits on the ground, still unsure of the outcome. You begin to walk again, along with Camilo.

Behind you, Mirabel gets up, taking a step.

The quakes begin again, knocking you flat on your face. You manage to roll out of the way as a tree nearly smushes you.

"Mirabel! It's you, you're the problem!" Camilo shouts, looking over to his cousin.

"What are you talking about?" Mirabel yells, glaring at him.

"You're the magic holder, remember? If you leave, the Encanto dies!" Camilo explains, barely audible over the sounds.

The quakes die down, as if agreeing with Camilo.

"He's right, Mira. I'm so sorry, but you've got to stay here." You apologize, hoping she doesn't hate you.

"What?! That's crazy, I need to come with you!" Mirabel insists, clenching her fists.

"No Mira, you're needed here. I'm sorry, but this is where you belong." Camilo snaps, so out of character.

Mirabel accepts her defeat. "Fine. But that means Filipe stays here."

Filipe takes Mirabels hand, and practically drags her back down the hill. You and Camilo continue upward, until finally you reach the peak of the mountain.

The view is nothing but treetops and hot sun stretching across the horizon. This is your destiny. The journey only really started now.

You take a step, officially gone from your home.

Outside the Encanto.