The Reunion

This is what you've been waiting for.

To see your mother.

The mother who loved you, took care of you, cooked, cleaned, kept the family sane.

The mother who you presumed dead.

The mother who'd abandoned you.

The mother who didn't make contact, didn't try to write to you.

The mother who didn't deserve this hug.

You shove her away, much to her surprise, and yours. Mama tries to embrace you again, but without hesitation you set yourself to a defensive stance, as if she was an enemy.

"You left us!" You shout, ready to beat the hell out of her.

"I had to! It was the only way to keep you alive." She defends, crossing her arms.

"You had to leave, but couldn't we know you were alive? I needed a mother!"

"Y/n! Don't talk to me like that, you have no idea what I've been through here!" She screams, causing several heads to turn.

"Mama, what's going on?" A little boy tugs at her dress, hiding behind her.

"Francisco, go back to your school. How did you get out?" Her voice softens.

Your rage increases.

"Who the hell is he?!" You continue, denying the obvious.

"Your brother."

"Yeah I- half brother?"

"Full."

You simply stare at her, and then to the child. He looks the same age as Antonio, although there's no possibility that he could be. The child resembles Marco so much, you don't doubt he's your brother.

"Did Papa know?" Your voice cracks, angry.

"He knew about everything." Mama nearly whispers, clutching Francisco tighter. The little boy looks up, and a familiar pant hits your chest.

Maria's eyes.

"I'm only here for one thing. Our Encanto is broken, dying, and who knows if it's already dead? I have to speak to the deity." You calm down, remembering how this only happened because of the curse.

"Why don't you come home, first?" Mama offers, causing Francisco to stare up in shock.

"Home? That's miles away." You shoot out, refusing to let her make you "at home."

Mama slumps her shoulders down, defeated. She knew, in her heart, that nothing would come of this.

She takes Francisco's hand, gestures for you to follow, and starts walking.

You narrow your eyes, until your feel Camilo's hand slip between yours.

He gazes at you with empathy and longing. His eyes say more than a thousand words ever could. And it was that, the love, that allowed you to be guided to your second home, one that used to be for fun and joy, but now must be nothing but a safe hold.

Everyone around you looks so happy. Children throw fireballs at each other, you got hit in the crossfire. It tickled your arm, and a smile crept onto your face. You conjure a small fireball on your fingertips, and toss it back at the kid that hit you.

He smiles and waves, before conjuring himself a football and kicking it to one of his friends. He does several knee tricks, topping it off with a header. The kid looks back for you, and you wave once again before turning to corner.

Fransisco keeps looking back at you, until you catch his eye, then he buries his face back into Mamas dress.

You want to burn this place. Or soak it. Doesn't matter, as long as it's destroyed. You know the people of the town don't deserve it, but you can't help wishing you had your powers. You can just picture a flood, the screaming children and families doomed to die. Francisco, drowning, turning to stone, while your mother was helpless to watch.

"Y/n, you're suddenly in a good mood..?" Camilo nudges your shoulder with his.

"Just thinking about Mirabel. I miss her a lot." You lie, thinking about how she's very likely dead, how Filipe must've been sent to the incinerator.

Tears started to fall from your eyes, stinging your now fiery skin. Odd, that you can produce water. It must be from your human counterpart.

"Aw, love, it's alright." Camilo wipes away your tears. "Ow." He shakes his hand, the tears falling off.

"I know, I know. I just miss them. Once this is over, we'll see them again. All of them." You smile, forgetting about Mama, letting Camilo's footsteps be the ones you follow.

You wish you were still in the forest.. with Camilo.. alone.

A new fire lights inside of you. The drive to lead him into a back alley, to really be alone runs through you.

Camilo's mind drifts in the same direction, although neither of you know it. Besides, how awkward would it be if Mama came looking for you, and saw..

"In here!" Mama calls out, holding the door open for you.

You go through, then Camilo.

It's a small place. Quaint, cozy, reminds you a lot of home. Same beige walls, furniture design, even decorations of green.

It's enough to make you both nostalgic and want to puke at the same time.

Mama signs happily, sitting down on her little couch. Francisco climbs onto the couch and sprawls our over her lap.

"Sleep, children, sleep. You've had a long journey, a nap wouldn't hurt." Mama insists, stroking Francisco's hair. "Guest bedroom is on the right."

You roll your eyes and take Camilo's hand, hungry for some privacy. Alone.

"Ah ah ah."

You turn around, pissed off.

"Not together. Y/n, take the couch. I'll go put this naughty child to bed."

Mama gets up, throws a giggling Francisco over her shoulder, and carry's him into the hallway.

You let go of Camilo's hand, avoid eye contact and physical touch with your mother, and tuck yourself into bed.

In just a few days.. I'll be going home. I won't have this pain, this trauma.

Maria will still be alive.

Dream waves wash over you.

Maria.. such a beautiful name.