Tough Thorns and Bloody Feet

"Alright everyone, I'm gonna say this once. We've got a long hike to go, and it's not gonna be easy. Forget everything you've ever learned about the woods, because it's useless to you now." You begin, feeling powerful. "There are three rules to this trip. First off, stay with the group. If you wander off and get lost, we will not be coming back for you. Second, if I tell you to do something, do it. Third.." you take a deep breath, "respect the jungle. It is superior to you in every way, there is no way to defeat it. Animals, plants, even the water can kill you in a thousand different ways."

"Y/n, that might be a little intense.." Cisco prods, wary of this demanding attitude you seem to have taken on.

"It's the truth. You must be prepared, must be ready. I'm sorry, but you have to know that. Does anyone have any questions?"

Everyone shakes their heads, ready to get moving. You're suddenly angry, as if they don't understand what's at stake.

"This is extremely dangerous! And we could get caught! I know it might not seem that way, but we're not going to have your powers anymore. We can't make food appear at will, we don't have any magic arepas. If you get hurt out there, you're dead!" You raise your voice, as if that would help. Everyone seems stunned, but you're glad you got through to them. Tears brim in Julieta's eyes, Isabella looks shaken. Everyone does.

"We know Y/n. It's haunted us, every night. But this could bring hope to the Encanto. We know now, the horrors your family has been through, what led you to this. Apologies won't make it better, but this will. I've lived a good life. If I have to, I'll die for the Encanto." Alma proudly says.

"Nobody's dying, Mama." Julieta scorns.

Except for whoever I'm going to murder.

"We should get a move on then. Oh- this is Cisco." You introduce him, but begin moving. Everyone follows you, and you remember Lochland is keeping watch. "I'll be right back."

You jog over to find Lochland, and see him at the entrance. You give him a thumbs up, and he disappears to leave the way he'd come from. You run back to the Madrigals, and begin carving a small tunnel for them to climb through. You accidentally hit the river, causing water to spill down, but quickly block it back off.

"Alright, we're gonna have to swim up through the river, and through to the other side. That'll take us to the new bridge over the river leading to the mountain pass. Cisco will go first, and I'll go last." You explain, making room for Cisco to go through. He nods, and then sticks his head through the water, and jumps, swimming through and away. You give him a little boost with what you can see from him.

"Who's next?"

Little by little, everyone goes through. First went Isabella, then Dolores, Felix, Mirabel, Alma, Luisa, Pepa and Julieta, Augustine and Antonio, and Bruno, until finally, you and Camilo are left.

You begin sealing off the way into the prison, making sure to cover your tracks. You're closing up the tunnel and holding the water up at the same time, when Camilo takes your arm, and spins you to face him.

"You know, you're absolutely crazy for doing this." He laughs, putting his head on yours.

"You're the crazy one, going through with it." You lean your head on his chest, breathing deeply. He smells of faint cologne. Odd. It's been weeks since Casita crumbled, it should've faded by now.

"Now that we're alone.."

You let the water dump on him.

"Hey! I just meant I wanted to say thank you! Properly." He takes your head in his hands, and leans in.