The Clearest of Visions

"Psst. Y/n, wake up!" Antonio gently shakes you awake, to which you wrap your arms around his stomach, and pull him in close. From there, you tickle him until he can't breathe.

"What's up kiddo?"

"There's a meeting. They're deciding who in my family should be allowed to fight." Antonio says, his jaguar missing from his hands.

You jump up, throw your hair in a messy bun, and let Antonio lead you to the small meeting room.

"They have no experience! Not to mention, they're most likely the main targets."

"They could be useful, as distractions, or bait."

"Like a lamb to the slaughter!"

"This is war! No special treatment can be given!"

"Then based on what we hold our soldiers to, they shouldn't be going out!"

The room seemed to be split in two, with one side determined to use the Madrigals, the other wanting their full protection. You take a seat on the end on the table, waiting to be addressed. When things begin to calm down, you take a stand.

"I've heard many things, and it's barely even morning. We need to use everyone, but that doesn't necessarily mean soldiers. There's always going to be something they can do, even if it's not the front lines." You decide, not looking at the Madrigals. You knew you had to be fair, but you'd made a promise to Antonio.

"Individual assessments, interviews, obstacle courses, simulations, make sure whatever they do, it's the best option." You decide, speaking with such authority that nobody questioned it.

"We have little time for that, our soldiers are already preparing-"

"Then we best get a move on. I'll construct the interviews, and send them off with Cassie. Show them the way to wherever they're going, and meet back here to collect the others. Understood?"

Simultaneous nods and murmurs go through the room, and you know nobody will argue.

"Good. I'll be in this room here. Come to me when you're ready." You say, going into a small, closet sized room, which had only a desk and a few chairs. You think it must've been an old office at one point, but nobody seems to have used it.

Isabella is the first one in. She firmly plants herself down on the chair opposite you, back straight, legs crossed.

"I'm going to be a soldier. I want to fight for the Encanto." She flat out states, staring deep into your soul.

"You're going to have to kill people, you know that?" You say, examining your nails, as if you were bored.

"I'm not afraid of your family." She says, still glaring at you.

"I'm not talking about my family. There will be others, some who agree with my family, some who are too afraid to resist. Those are the people you'll have to kill." You sigh, returning her gaze.

"I know. And I know I'll be haunted by whoever's face it is that I kill, or the families I'll have wrecked. But I need to go out there. The Encanto means so much to me, and I'll fight to get it back." Isabella promises, wiping away a tear that had formed.

"Okay." You say, realizing this would be more difficult than you'd expected. "Go ahead, send the next person in."

Isabella swiftly roses, her lavender dress still twirling around, although it's owner has long since done so. She pushes in her chair, and exits the room in a flash.

All the interviews go somewhat like that. Unfortunately, you can't seem to pull any strings for anyone. Augustine, Felix, Pepa, Isabella, and Luisa all were appointed soldiers, much to your dismay.

Dolores was the only one who wanted to be a spy. Her whole life's been about gaining information and reporting it, why not make use of her talent now?

You'd been able to excuse Mirabel, Camilo, and obviously Antonio from the fight. They were underage, and shouldn't be allowed to fight for such a cause. Other children were fighting, some as young as 12 years old, but they're ignored.

Julieta seemed to be having a panic attack when she came in the room.

"I do not want to be a soldier! I-I love the Encanto, I do, but I save lives, not take them." She chokes out, sitting up straighter.

"Of course, go ahead with Cassandra. You'll be a great medic, but know that you can't be in charge of your own families care." You remind her.

"Yes, I know. Thank you." Julieta tugs her skirt from the chair and flies out the room. She wasn't in there for more than 30 seconds.

Alma decided to join her daughter in the medical wing.

Bruno was last, the lines on his face heavier than usual. He looked a mess, tear stains on his face. He sat down, staring directly into your eyes.

"Uhm.. good morning. Is there a job you'd like to do?" You say, squirming in your seat.

"The vision. I had a dream last night, it's become clearer." Bruno's words remind you of your own nightmare, sending a shiver down your spine.

"Vision- did you see who it was? Wait, I thought your powers were gone?!" You panic, knowing the person you'd be responsible for murdering might just be clear.

"I saw a lot of things. First off, no, I don't know how my gift came back. Second off, it wasn't clear. Third, let me explain, and please do not react or ask any questions until after."

You zip your lips, lock it, and place the key on the table.

"In my first vision, I just saw you with a sword, fighting someone, but I couldn't make out who. Then you stabbed them in the stomach, and they dropped. In my second vision, however, there was more. I saw a candle.. it exploded into a million pieces. Houses began to crumble, along with out mountains. Fire everywhere, on the sidewalks, on buildings, trees, people. And finally, a pile of bodies, tons of bodies, black Mariposas littering the ground, their skin, their eyes. Only a few sick, starving people alive, struggling to survive. Then you again.. untouched. You leave us." Bruno finishes, his face blank, utterly emotionless as he pops some mint leaves into his mouth.

"What, no! No, I'd never leave us like that!" You cry, tears spilling out of your eyes. How could you, when the curse has spread?

"I couldn't see the circumstance. But at least we know the murder will probably happen in only a few hours!" Bruno grins sympathetically.

"That's a good thing?" You shriek, your jaw dropping, eyebrows raised in offense. Bruno's eyebrows furrow in, as he reaches into his pocket.

"I'm not sure. All I know, is that you will be the difference between the survival of the Encanto, or it's destruction." Bruno throws salt behind him, and gets up. "I'll be in the medical wing with Julie."

The door closes quietly, leaving you alone to process, and wondering just when you'll become a murderer.