It came in fives

"-This is murder number five Snyders!" He yelled "Don't let your past blind you from the lives of the currently living! You signed up to protect people! Now do you job!"

-Chief Warren Jones, OKPD-

Tom drew his Crown Victoria to a halt in front of the old run down motel, he had to leave it in first gear otherwise the old peace of junk rolls away, Tom didn't even look, either his emergency brake cable was broken or stolen, he frankly didn't care.

Tom quickly opened his small canteen of whiskey and took a sip looking at the building, ugly zit pink and worn by the years, its hideous paint peeling like sunburn skin, if that wasn't enough to put you off, then the name was; The Pinpoppy motel, underneath the numbers 1515.

Tom rubbed his tongue against the bridge of his mouth, it was happening in fives now, his wife passed away, five years later he lost his daughter, now five years later, the fifth murder here at the Pinpoppy, established in 1515.

"Dammit this place is ugly" He said to himself and got out slamming the door shut, he was aware of the scaly neighborhood this was but he didn't bother to lock his car, they can steal it for all he cared.

"Snyders" Officer Robin said shaking his hand.

"Who was first on scene?" Tom asked pocketing his canteen.

"Moe, you remember the bloke right? Homeless guy"

"Where is he?"

Robin pointed at the old African American man standing one side.

"Be right back" he said heading over whilst taking out his wallet.

"Mister Thomas, the oddball ally cat I knew you'd come" Moe said extending his had to receive the two hundred dollars from Tom.

"What did you see?"

"Nutin much, got here to see if I can find me some scrap metal, but that when I walked into that dry bloodbath"

"Dry?"

"It ain't fresh Thomas, oh, and you might want to check the bathroom on the upper floor, thought I could get me some copper taps for recycling, these old rundown buildings still use'em ya know?"

"Thanks Moe, see ya later"

"Sure thing detective" the old man said holding the two hundred dollar notes up "I owe you one"

"Keep me in the line" Tom said and they parted.

He ducked under yellow tape and met the captain who stood with a smirk on his face.

"Denzil?" Tom said and shook his hand "Judging by that smile I'm in for a surprise?"

"No, in fact detective this is a very familiar murder to you"

Tom pointed a finger to him "Don't talk that crap to me! You know where it leads to!"

"Just go check man! Forensics are on the way!"

Tom grunted and entered the building, the place reminded him of a pomegranate, pink with spots, then that strange hard but super sweet pips in the center, he could never like that fruit, its color alone put him off.

The smell obviously a stenchy musk from water damage over over the years but that was soon doused out by the stench of rotting flesh.

"Holy crap! Come on man!" He said clenching his nose as they came into the blooded room.

"Told you you'd like this" Denzil said laughing.

Tom only leered at him then turned back to the body on the floor, it was messy as usual, they came to call this killer the Butcher, he always made a mess but never left any unnecessary things behind to lead the feds to him, he was a messy professional for the lack of a better explanation.