Dinner?

"-I married money, once I learned to make a dime I became addicted to it-"

The area was properly dazzled with red and blue lights when a glancing flat hand struck Tom's head making him flinch.

"Why didn't you call for backup Snyders!?" Warren yelled.

"It happened as I halted! There was no time to grab the radio or make a call!"

"Well you coulda been killed!"

"I'm fine thanks for asking!"

"Oh? Have you seen your car?" Warren said pointing a thumb over his shoulder.

Tom stuck to the scene the whole time and didn't leave for his car, now with the authorities there he headed over to find the old Ford shot full of holes, it seemed there where he ducked behind the one car gave clearance for the rounds that missed him to pass through the netted fencing and smoked the car he came in.

Tom brushed a hand through his hair "Well snap! Guess I needed a new set of wheels anyway"

"Like Hell you do! I know why you held on to this piece of junk Snyders! So you can turn it into a petrol bomb again! You travel with MacMillan from now on!"

"What!?"

"That's final!" Warren yelled "leave your statement with me and head home!"

"My car is shot up Jones!"

"Take a yellow cab! Those are Crown Victoria's as well! You'll feel right at home!"

Tom grunted leaving it at that, he wrote a statement then handed it to Warren.

"Good, see you tomorrow" Jones said heading into the yard again.

Tom kicked a stone and walked off, he needed to cool down so decided to save money and rather walk, the Oklahoma nights are warm this time if the year any ways, if it was winter now a cab would have been priority number one.

He came down the main street when a rather posh saloon passed him, he gave its maroon paint and numberplate a good look but then it suddenly braked to a standstill.

Tom twisted his hand behind his back and got ready to draw his pistol again but the car remained until he could pass and see the driver, it was Adele.

"Detective?"

"Oh-! Evening Miss Monroe" he said letting go of the pistol.

"Why are you walking?"

He shrugged "Fresh air does wonders"

She laughed "You want a lift?"

He stood up looking down the street, it was still a five mile hike so why not? He climbed in next to her and closed the door.

"Fresh air?" She asked.

"My car broke down" he made up a story.

"Oh that's too bad?"

"Its okay, the government pays for it, perks of being a cop"

She smiled looking forward again, Tom was glad she had a coat to cover up, so he felt better about talking to her, not like the idiot he was earlier today.

"You on your way home?" He asked.

"Naturally" she said smiling "I can hear you're off duty detective, your questions have no real meaning"

He chuckled "Guess so"

"Your wife won't get angry at me right? This is just a favour" she said.

"Oh don't worry, I stay alone"

"You do?"

"Yeah, long story" he said shortly making her watch the road again.

"So? I know we planned a coffee tomorrow morning, but how about dinner at my house then?" She asked.

Tom didn't feel tired, that shootout had his adrenaline pumping still, and for once he could do without the takeaway fish and chips, canned food and minute noodles.

"I'd be glad to take you up on your offer, cooking for myself is a hassle"

She smiled nodding "When last did you spend time with a woman?"

Tom didn't like the direction this is going, but he needed a tad bit more info from her so he decided its open cards to get her trust.

"About five years ago"

She looked at him surprised "Five?"

"My wife died in that huge train derailment, remember that?"

She nodded "I do, that's tragic I'm sorry detective"

"Its okay, I'll miss her though"

She looked at him sheepishly "But that train derailed ten years ago? I know because two of my employees were on it?"

So she had skeletons? Tom might be superstitious but its a hint, what if she was the target, he shrugged giving her a warm smile for now "My wife died, but miraculously my daughter could be saved... I lost her five years ago"

Adele gave an under breath gasp, Tom felt like an idiot spilling this stuff, she didn't have to hear it.

He saw her quickly rub a tear "So the last lady you had dinner with was your daughter?"

"Yes, Mia was a great assistant cook" he said smiling.

"That's sweet Tom, I mean detective"

"Its okay Miss Monroe, you can call me Tom, I'm off duty right?"

She's blushed "And then you may call me Adele for tonight"

He nodded "So did you ever marry?"

Her face on the intersection showed no emotion accept for the partially open lips being brushed by the tip of her tongue, she then turned to him when the road was clear.

"No, I married money, to be honest the first time I learned to make a dime it became an addiction, and I couldn't get out of it"

"Odd? A dame like you could have anyone"

She bit her lip "I know, but I don't use it as an advantage"

"You have an eye on one of those cops don't you?" He teased but that was actually an interrogation focused question, it made her laugh though.

"Not at all, the men in blue are strictly business, its to avoid the tax man coming too often, and keeps my name in the clear, I don't want bad rep"

"Sounds like you're a strict business woman if you're even drawing the cops in to keep it clean?" He asked as they drew into a driveway.

"I am" she said.

Tom was baffled to see the large house open up after a short drive through a lush garden, so this is the house of Adele Monroe? He wondered if it ever got lonely being single in a castle like this? It would make sense why she'd have a man or two to come keep her company.

Author's note

Thanks for the read peeps.

Does anyone think its coincidence that Adele just happened to pass him on his way home?