A hailstorm of gunfire

—Angela was right, maybe he did need another woman in his life—

After Tom took Angela to two of the murder sites they sat in the car again sipping through the photos.

"Warren said you can look at these types of scenes and figure out what type of human being does things like this?" He said brushing through his hair.

"He's not wrong, but not right either, I need to see a fresh murder for that"

"Well that helps"

She took out a fresh piece of gum and popped it into her mouth then continued paging the photos.

"You chew a lot of gum" he had to say.

"I'm actually a smoker, trying to quit, the gum keeps my mouth busy so I'd get distracted from having one"

"Oh, good for you then, is it working?"

"A little, if I get into stressful situations I have to light one up otherwise I'd kill someone I swear"

He eyed her, it sounded like a joke, or a figure of speech, but somehow he wasn't convinced, her entire explosive demeanor made sense now.

She smiled feeling his eyes on her "Why do you think I don't carry a gun?"

"So you weren't joking?"

"Captain's orders"

He chuckled "Amazing" he said closing his door and starting the car.

"What is?"

"You'd really shoot someone if the nicotine withdrawals becomes too much?"

She smiled tipping her head "No! I have common sense Snyders, I don't carry a gun on my own accord, I'll admit I do get a little restless, so I set my own precautions just for in case"

Tom chuckled looking at his watch "Well, the day is almost over, I'll go drop you at the station quick" he said driving off.

"What's wrong? I can watch NASCAR you know?"

"No its not that, I'm usually busy on a Tuesday and Thursday"

"Oh? With what?"

He shrugged "Therapy"

She looked at him for a few seconds then scoffed "Seriously?"

"Yes?" He said feeling insulted by the way she asked that.

"Snyders its been ten years!"

"Five for my daughter!"

"You need to get over this!"

"And I will! With time, stop patronising me I'm doing this because it was 'My' captain's orders!"

She sat back stacking the photos, the bubble expanding from her full lips popped and she dug it back in with her tongue "Is it that bad?"

Tom stayed quiet for a few seconds then sighed looking at his gas tank "See that?" He pointed at the needle indicating 'Full'

"Yes?"

"I always keep my tank full, for two reasons"

She remained quiet looking at him.

"If the day comes I want to leave I'll drive until I have to stop again, and a full tank will ensure I get very far..." He said and brushed his unshaven beard.

"If I really can't put up with this crap anymore I'll shove a cloth down the tank pipe and set it alight, turning this sucker into a one and a half ton Molotov cocktail, I'll be inside of course"