THIRTEEN | Artemis

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

I fear that I am actually useless. I have no purpose in this world. I don't have a special talent. I'm not good at anything, like sports, singing, acting, and other stuff that is considered extraordinary. The only thing I'm good at is surviving.

I've been surviving my whole life.

No one has noticed anything. I know I could've told someone but something in me hoped that someone out there actually cares. I wished for something like that my whole life.

And I'll continue wishing.

"Athena, you need to eat."

I snap out of my trance and see Dante opposite the table, holding a cookie. I sigh. I take it and take a bite.

We've all been sitting in the library all day. It's nearly lunch and they won't let me go to my lessons. I don't understand why.

"Why can't I go to my lessons?"

Domenico sighs, "We've told you this already. We don't want you to go there."

This is stupid.

I finish eating my cookie and lean back in my chair.

Someone's phone rings. Dante stands up and takes his phone out and leaves the library. I wonder what's so important that he has to leave. Whatever. It's none of my business. Ares whispers something to Domenico and he just shrugs. 

I look out the window. I see a bird soar through the sky. It lands on a tree branch and chirps.

To be honest, if I had to choose to be an animal I think it would be a bird. They can fly anywhere, they can fly high up in the sky and fly low on the ground. Not only that but they're free. They're not trapped. They can go anywhere they want. And they're so beautiful. So fascinating.

"Athena I have someone you would like to meet."

I look over my shoulder and see Dante standing beside a girl. The girl has blonde hair and brown eyes. She's tall and gorgeous.

"Oh hey, Artemis!"

She smiles at Ares, "Hi Ares."

Dante shakes his head at Ares, "Anyway this is Artemis. She's in your year but she's a very good friend of ours and I think you will like her a lot if you get to know her."

Artemis.

She's named after a goddess too. Artemis, the goddess of hunting.

I adore Greek mythology. Ever since I was little and found out that I was named after a Greek goddess. I decided to learn all about it. And I don't regret it one bit. Back at home, I have so many books about Greek Mythology that I "borrowed" from the library.

She gives me a warm-hearting smile and sits down next to me. Then she glares at Dante, "Why didn't you tell me she was here sooner? God, she must be so bored with you guys."