Saving Shon

As soon as Vasu arrived home with adhiratha, Radha started to weep infront of him, she was laying on a cot as she felt unwell with worry for her son.
She demanded Vasu to go and find shon , to bring him back home.she also told him that because he had not came to work at the shop for passed few days ,shon had to do all the work alone and customers even got angry with him.

Vrushali could not stay silent any longer.

"Why should he, what have you given him to demand anything from him like this?"she said in anger.

Radha knew Vrushali was correct but Vasu was her only option for getting her son back , so she changed tactics and pleaded Vasu to go and bring shon back , she knew out of the goodness of his heart, Vasu would not be able to say no.

"I will go and find him , tell me ,where was he last seen?" Vasu asked.

"He went to the market the day asurs attacked and we were not able to find him ever since , I asked around and they said that he ran away towards the forest frightened for his life." Said adhiratha.

Vasu nodded and stood up to go to the forest himself.
He went towards Vrushali and looked into her eyes saying that he is sorry and thank you.

He then told her to take care of Radha and get a Vaidya ( doctor) to see her. He would talk to her later.
Then he left.

-

He searched the forest but could not find any sign of shon. soon he came by a tribal village and saw them preparing for a ritual.
He found out that it was a sacrificial ritual and the sacrifice was none other than shon.

"Stop right there, "he said loudly and confidently.

Everyone turned towards him, they found a person covered in dark clothes ,his face was not visible but his eyes only had determination in them.
The chief came forward and demanded to know the identity of this person and his reason of coming to their village and hindering there ritual.

"I am Vasusen ,I am a citizen of hastinapur ,a devote of lord Suryanarayan, i have my reasons for covering my face but I mean no harm to you or your village and I came here to rescue this person ,I will not let you sacrifice him. Sacrificing any living being is very wrong and no god would be happy with such a deed."

"You have no idea ,what this person had done. We helped him, saved him after he got lost in the forest while trying to escape the Asuras, and how he repaid us by trying to steal our most prized possession." Replied the chief.

"Vasu....Vasu ,please help me " pleaded shon crying, he was shaking with fear.
He never called Vasu Bhrata or jyestha but he had no shame in making him do his work and asking for help.

"What did he try to steal?" Asked Vasusen not even looking towards shon.

"You see that idol ,that is our most cherished god( ishta devata) , it is made up of pure gold and had been in the village for generations, it is also what protects this forest and it's living beings and he tried to steal it

"You see that idol ,that is our most cherished god( ishta devata) , it is made up of pure gold and had been in the village for generations, it is also what protects this forest and it's living beings and he tried to steal it. ..after we saved his life ,what kind of greedy and non grateful person does that....so tell me why should I not punish him by sacrificing him to our God and seek the gods blessings." Said the chief very angrily.

"You have all the right to punish him, but as I said earlier ,no true god would be happy with such offerings and if you punish him for theft then do it in such a way that he remembers his punishment for all his life and even tries to make amends and gain forgiveness for what he did, don't you think ?" Argued Vasusen.

The chief was a wise person , so he thought for a bit and said,

"Ok , I will give him a chance but I have few conditions.
First , tell me why you are so adamant to save his life,since you seems like a wise and good man,and what you are willing to do or sacrifice to save his life?" Said the chief.

"I will do whatever you want me to do, as long as you let him live because I have promised his mother to bring him back home alive but I will not stop you from giving him punishment since he had done crime against your community." Said Vasu.

"Ok, then ....I want you to fight our strongest fighter, a hand to hand combat and if you defeat him ,he lives and I will give him a punishment of getting whipped ten times and he will also have to come here and clean the temple with his own hands atleast once a month until I am sure that he is a changed man and deserves forgiveness, but if you are defeated then he dies and you stay here forever." Said the chief.

"I agree....I will become a honest person ,I promise. You have to defeat this fighter" Said shon, though he was still scared but getting whipped ten times would be nothing compared to being dead,he thought. He knew Vasu would definitely defeat the fighter, whoever he was.

"It is not you call, you dummy. "Growled the chief.

"I accept,but I also have one condition, when I win ,you will never sacrifice any living being to the god ever again."said Vasu .
The chief smiled ,he knew this young man has something special about him.
" When ...not if....so you are sure about your victory...fine i accept."

Vasu nodded.

The fight started and even though the village fighter was good ,he was no match for Vasu and he was defeated in no time.

Chief declared Vasu winner and did as he promised.
Finally, shon ,who had wounds on his back but not severe ,with some medicine and rest he would be fine, and he would also need to visit this village once a month but he was feeling thankful for the first time in his life for saving him ,and Vasu were returning back to Hastinapur.

When the chief stopped Vasu and told him that he thinks Vasu was very brave and wise person and would like to be friends with him ,he also told Vasu to come to the village ,if he ever needed anything in future or just to visit.
Vasu accepted.

Finally , shon and Vasu returned home , welcomed by Vrushali who was waiting for his return by the main gate.

Vrushali told him that Radha is being treated by the vaidya and adhiratha is by her side.

Vasu took shon inside and asked Vaidya to treat him as well.

After the vaidya was done and he told adhiratha and Vasu that both of them were going to be fine.
Adhiratha was very relieved.
Radha started to make a fuss ,as how her precious son got injured and shouting at Vasu , but shon stopped her, telling them about how Vasu had saved his life.
After that Radha kept her mouth shut.

Vasu after telling adhiratha that he is going to take Vrushali her home and will return after that incase they would need help at night,having two patients at home, went with Vrushali towards her house.
He needed to spent some time with her.
For the first time adhiratha saw Vasu as he was supposed to see him, a good and loving person.