✧27✧

A/N: a lil author note at the beginning because A SONG! I love love love this song and the memories it holds for me are incomparable #lockdown2020. Im not enforcing the song upon you but I think it does sum up the vibes and emotions of the chapter quite well. Enjoyyyyy <3

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

Jiyoung

"Is this what Mark was warning me about?" I muttered, half to him, half to myself. "Is this what he meant when he said you would break my heart?"

I looked over at his stricken face, but I could barely make out any details because of the tears blurring my eyes.

I blinked fiercely to try and clear my eyes in vain. I had reached the edge of that cliff now. Taeyong's metaphorical cliff. Whether this was love or not, I wasn't sure, but I was ready to take that last step into the unknown. While earlier I had been excited at the prospect of such an adventure, now I was afraid.

Taeyong had given me hope that there was a chance that my feelings might be requited. That hope had fled with Donghyuck's cruel words.

I wiped my eyes roughly with the back of my hand, before speaking once more, "Hyuck, I meant it when I said I like you, and I had hoped you would reciprocate those feelings, but obviously I won't force you to do anything."

I turned towards the door, not bothering to reach for my things lying on the bed, or even my phone, I just didn't want him to see me cry again. I was grateful that my room key was already in my pocket.

I unsuccessfully willed away my tears, which were starting to fall onto my cheeks.

Hyuck, who had been silent the whole time, began to speak, "Ji, I-"

I ignored his attempts; I couldn't even look at him; my main focus was to get out of there. I ripped open the door and threw myself out of the room, away from him.

I ran in the opposite direction of the lifts, towards the stairwell, located at the other end of the corridor. The tears blurred my vision so badly that everything was just a kaleidoscope of colours around me.

Upon reaching the stairs, I rushed down them, just about remembering how to place one foot in front of the other. I leaned heavily on the handrail, knowing it was the only thing keeping me at the top of the stairs at this point.

There was something almost liberating in the seemingly endless cycle of steps, even so, the eight flights of stairs ended far too quickly for my liking, and for the first time since leaving Hyuck, I paused, as I realised I didn't know where to go.

A sudden thought of Mark telling me about the small garden he had found hit me. I was sure I could find it pretty easily. I had been talking about it with Nina yesterday, and she had mentioned it to be round the side of the rose gardens.

I hurried through the staff hallways, avoiding the prying eyes of the lobby, desperate to be outside and alone. A single hand reached out to me, accompanied by a concerned voice. I pushed past it, not able to handle anyone and blended into the crowd filling the lobby.

The walled garden was just as Mark had described, secluded, quiet and most importantly free of people.

Hyuck didn't like me. Hell, he didn't even consider me friend-worthy

I was stupid for leading myself on like that.

But I wouldn't be making that mistake again.

Finally away from him and the bustle of the lobby, every combination of emotion washed over me like riptides pulling me in different directions.