act 1 - where is my mind?

𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐈 : 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈
sophomore year.

𝐀𝐜𝐭 𝐈 : 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈 sophomore year

–•–•–•–

Two weeks.

Two weeks was all the time Paxton Bridger had to mourn her father before she had to face reality. And it was a harsh one. The second semester of her school year is beginning and her schedule became packed quickly. She decided to sign up for any and every extra curricular activity since she started high school.

Her father meant everything to the girl, being her only remaining parent. At least, the only one she considered. Her estranged mother was not in the picture. The only time Paxton would see her were the holidays and birthdays, it was a rare occasion for Emily Bridger to see her children. In fact, it had been years.

Her oldest, Charlie, clings to her memory. He would never admit it but he admired her. Just like Paxton would never admit that there was a time when she did too. Eventually she never understood her brother, how he longed for their mother. Paxton had only grown angrier with the woman while Charlie grew lonelier. Most of their arguments involved their mother. The girl would say something mean about her and Charlie would always be quick to defend. It became hard for Paxton, feeling as if she had no reason to hate her mother. But she had little to no memories of Emily's good times. Only the memories of her father crying at the dinner table, thinking he was the only one awake. They had gotten a divorce when Paxton was nine, Charlie was ten.

When Daniel and Emily Bridger had moved their family to Beacon Hills, they were still married but on the brink of divorce. Emily had always put her work before her family. When they had finalized their divorce, it crushed Paxton. Though she was too young to completely understand. She saw the aftermath and she understood what sadness looked like. Daniel never showed his pain, not knowingly. He spent his days working as a deputy at the local police station to provide for his children. He would work overtime so Charlie could have his lacrosse uniform. And when Paxton took a liking to the piano, he would make sure she could go to lessons. When Charlie turned sixteen, Daniel surprised him with a car. It wasn't the shiniest or the fastest but it was a car and Charlie was grateful. Paxton knew how it exhausted her father, both of the kids did. The two loved him more than anything. A true picture-perfect relationship.

Perhaps that's the grief talking.

With the loss of Daniel in their lives, the two are on separate paths. Charlie, determined to ignore his mournful thoughts by distracting himself with lacrosse. A sport his father taught him, a fact he will always cherish. Paxton has always had a hard time when it came to how she felt. And an even worse time when it came with dealing with how she felt. For her, it was easier to push everything away when things got rough. She pushed her family away when their mother left. She pushed her old friends away when she realized how angry she was with her mother.