𝟎𝟐𝟔 if it were up to me, you'd be dead.

if it were up to me, you'd be dead

___

IMAGINE YOURSELF FLOATING in a pool. You're on your back, arms drifting beside you. Eyes closed because the warm sun set a fire to your pupils.

You are so relaxed. At peace. A moment of clarity washing over you along with the rippling water. All of your trust is placed in your spine as you feel your limbs go numb.

Now imagine standing up with that same wispiness breezing around your legs, arms, even your neck. You try to walk but like a baby fawn, you stumble around until eventually your knees give out under the weight.

Your numb body is slowly becoming aware of a tingling sensation that bubbles to the surface of your skin in the form of goosebumps. That peace and clarity you once had is gone. You're afraid, so afraid. Your heart is pounding, so fast it would surely burst through your ribcage. Hands sweating and trembling.

That's how Stiles Stilinski is feeling in this very moment and, god, does he wish he were in a pool.

He can't feel his limbs, he can barely keep himself standing up straight as he walks.

Matt Daehler presses the end of his pistol into Paxton's back, one wrong move and she'd be paralyzed for life. His hand grips Stiles' neck, squeezing his main artery.  Matt forces them to move down the hallway that leads to Noah Stilinski's office.

Stiles' ringing ears drown out the sobs of the girl beside him. The one girl he cares most for in this life and the many others their souls may share. She's crying, god, is she crying. Though she keeps it quiet. Silent so no one could be bothered by her pain.

But Stiles could feel every emotion pouring from her. He couldn't help it, it just happens that way. It doesn't bother him. Under different circumstances, he'd be proud to see her so unaware of her vulnerability.

The last time he had seen her in a life or death situation, she couldn't bare to speak or move, much less cry.

She didn't care about her life then but now she has much more to lose.

As Matt forces them down the hall, all Stiles can think about is why he hasn't told Paxton his feelings. What had he been so afraid of when they're always in a line of fire much like this one. Always at a risk of dying yet so afraid to live.

He doesn't ponder the subject for long as Matt shoves them into the sheriff's office, keeping his gun aimed to them as they collide into one another.

Stiles looks up to his father, eyes wide, and suddenly his focus shifts.

Noah freezes at the sight of his horrified son, not knowing what to do. He had been in many situations where guns were involved but none that involved his bloodline. They stay looking to one another, sharing a moment as memories of Stiles' childhood comes to mind. Noah wonders how the boy who he had cherished for the last sixteen years could've ended up in this situation.

Charlie, sweet and innocent Charlie, he had never seen anything like it. So naive to the world his sister kept him away from. Now, looking to her red and tear-stricken eyes, he could understand her completely. Wishing he had never made a big deal out of her decision to leave him out for so long.