𝟎𝟑𝟓 mommy dearest.

mommy dearest.

___

IT WAS FLOODING THAT NIGHT in Beacon
Hills. Rain overwhelmed gutters, water nearly bursted through the pipes as it raced into the grass, ultimately making a lake of every lawn in town. It was as if the night sky knew of what would come. Mother nature was strange like that, knowing more than the people taking up space in her garden.

Emily Bridger sat in her dining room, at the small  wooden table with a floral cloth draped over it. Her green eyes were staring off at the vase placed in the center, glued to the wilted flowers as her mind overwhelmed with thoughts. The rain pattered against the window beside her but she couldn't hear it, too busy reliving every memory she had made with her family.

She had picked the house, the town, even the school her kids would go to. She loved Beacon Hills, and the alliances she had made within it. A town she fled to when seeking safety, a town that welcomed her to hide under its dreary blanket where things tend to get lost. But not all things lost, stay hidden.

And she had been found.

Her tearful eyes ripped away from the vase as she stood from the chair. She looked down to the table, remembering how her family had just ate dinner hours before her unplanned departure.

She didn't want to leave, she loved her family dearly. But with that love, she knew she had to put their safety first.

The lights were off in their bedroom and she refused to switch them on, afraid to wake Daniel. He looked so peaceful sleeping, she couldn't ruin that, not after he had spent the last week working exhausting hours due to a few mysterious deaths scattered throughout town, bodies found torn in half. Sliced, even.

After digging out the suitcase she had hidden for emergencies like this under the bed, she tiptoed to the closet. Closing the door behind her, she turned the lights on. Her eyes quickly searched the hangers full of clothes belonging to her and her husband, patterns and materials mixed. She grabbed whatever she could.

"Emily?" Daniel called out from the bed, his voice tired, exhausted. "Baby, what're you doing? Come back to bed," he added as he sat up from the sheets.

She listened as the bed creaked, sighing before opening the door of the closet. She didn't have to explain herself, the suitcase and handful of clothes did it for her.

He sat at the edge of their bed, the sheets draped over his lap. His thick brows pushed together as he looks between her and the suitcase.

"I didn't want you to find out like this," she said, lowering her shameful face so he couldn't see.

He knew they were having issues recently but had never anticipated her leaving.

"Why?" he shook his head before standing from the bed. The pale light of the moon glistened across his frown, encapsulating his sadness with its light blue hue. "Is it something I did? I can stop working late nights, Emily. I told you I would if it came to this."

She closed her eyes, breathing deeply to compose herself. "It's not you—"

"It's me?" he laughed, though neither found it funny.