𝟎𝟏𝟎 heart monitor.

heart monitor

___

"THE CLEAR SKIES AND SUNSHINE make a beautiful morning. Beacon Hills High School is back open after being closed yesterday. Police search continues-"

Paxton turns the volume down on the car's radio before letting out a groan. "I don't wanna be reminded of school right now," she sinks down the passenger seat.

"We're literally driving to school."

She closes her eyes, shushing her brother lightly. "Let me enjoy the few minutes we have left."

It had been an overwhelming couple of days for her. Not only did she find out what Stiles and Scott had been hiding, she had gotten a first hand experience with an alpha. Not that she really understood what an alpha is. But, she does have a feeling the beast might've been what attacked her father. Along with finding that out, she was also involved with making Derek Hale a fugitive. His body was never found, meaning he had to be alive and since she went along with Scott's lie about Derek being who attacked them, the police have been searching for him. With no Derek, that meant Scott couldn't have his cure for his "gift" that he never asked for. Stiles found a man who had researched lycanthropy. But, years of heckling caused him to lose interest in whether or not werewolves were real. He was no help in searching for a cure.

Though, it was a nice adventure the three could spend with each other. Even if Scott didn't get good news or that they had a gun pointed at them. The last time the three of them had hung out, it was playing UNO and watching a movie at Scott's house. It might not compare to breaking and entering but at least back then they had a more stable relationship.

As Paxton and Charlie park in their usual spot outside of school, she wonders if the two boys would even acknowledge her today. She felt stupid to think that just because they were with each other for the past few days, they were on better terms. But, that was just her overthinking. Truth is, they're having the same thoughts. Well, Stiles is. Scott is too worried about seeing Allison today and the full moon that waits for him tonight.

"Nothing like the smell of someone attacking students in the morning," Charlie says with a false cheerfulness as he reaches into the back seat to pull their bags up.

They hop out of the car, Charlie locking it behind them. "Dying would've been easier than this," she mutters as he meets up with her by the hood.

"What was that?"

"Just that I love you, you're the best brother ever and I could never do this without you," she lies, clenching her jaw with a fake smile.

"Yeah, I'm sure," he huffs, a small smirk finding him. As he leads them to the doors of school, he can't help noticing how she tenses up every step. Like the memories were still fresh. Maybe it's the leg she had hurt, the one Charlie had no clue about.

He holds the door open for her, inviting her into the sea of chattering students gossiping about their own twisted truths of what went down at the school the other night. Time nearly stops for her as the whispering overcrowds her hearing.

For a second, the hall completely clears out and the morning sun disappears. Her mind flashes back to the moments she had spent running around this very hall not knowing if she'd live.

Charlie pats her shoulder, abruptly pulling her away from the intrusive thoughts. She smiles softly at him, grateful he had been there to pull her away. She doesn't want to remember the bad parts, just that they made it out alive. But, the bad parts of anything were usually a strong memory.