𝟎𝟑𝟏 chaos rising.

chaos rising.

___

"SOMEONE TRIED TO KILL ME."

The words rang through her mind, repeating over and over until the sentence dries out of any meaning, any feeling. She repeated them until she no longer felt the pain that had been inflicted upon her.

She couldn't hear or keep up with the chaos surrounding her. Derek had helped Isaac into his backseat, demanded Paxton take the passenger seat. She couldn't argue, to say she'd rather just go home. All she could hear were the words repeating in her mind.

That someone had tried to kill her.

Everything she had been ignoring, pushing away until it becomes a distant memory, all of the fighting and territorial battles with the supernatural, all of it, it all means nothing anymore. No longer able to disregard the constant threats of life, it's not a joke anymore—not that it ever was—but now, it meant she's placed right in the middle of it.

She back to square one. She started the last semester of sophomore year asking questions and snooping around places she shouldn't be, now she'd start this year the same.

The normalcy she craved is no longer an urge, just a distant want that can wait for the future.

The question is; who tried to kill Paxton Bridger?

A girl seemingly innocent despite it all. She used to be a straight-A student, used to be a part of every club just to fill her schedule. She had a sweet smile, and knows exactly how to get her way if she batted her eyelashes. Seemingly unscathed in the battle of high school, she's the perfect girl on paper.

But she's not innocent, or so it's believed now that someone had tried to kill her, to take her life without a second thought in an underlying effort that she doesn't know about.

But she knows from lessons learned the hard way that everything has an intention. There's a meaning behind everything, so why would anyone try to harm her? Is it who she associates with?

Would someone hurt her because of her friends? Is it because Scott? Isaac? Because of what they are?

The questions race through her mind on an endless battle to the finish line.

That is, until, a final questions strikes at just the last second.

Would her mother be so cruel to attempt murder?

"Are you coming?" Derek asked, opening her door. He's anxious, ready to get inside and help Isaac, who's been passed out for the entire drive downtown.

She snaps out of her daze, searching the area for a hint of where they could be. Derek had said something about where they were headed, but she was never truly listening.

They're parked outside of a towering building, one who's shadow could cast across her entire neighborhood. But there's no neighborhoods around, just the bustling streets of downtown Beacon Hills. Buses run on their usual schedule, a stop just a few feet away from the building. A coffee shop is across the street, one that belongs in a magazine with its beautiful displays of pastries and fancy espressos.

"Where are we?" she asked, stepping onto the pavement while Derek helps Isaac out of the backseat.

"You're not in Kansas, anymore, Paxton," Isaac humored, his senses finally becoming aware of his surroundings.