𝟎𝟎𝟓 the dinner.

the dinner.

___

"YEAH, I KIND OF FIGURED THAT," she responds dryly, hiding her shock behind an annoyed tone. She didn't want them to know how much it scares her, how real it was all becoming. "But, why him?"

She had ran into Derek a few times. Once at a practice and once at Lydia's party. It never occurred to her that those times weren't purely a coincidence.

The two boys share another glance, causing her to roll her eyes. "What are you hiding?" she asks, gaining their attention.

It terrifies her to even ask, not knowing if she should really know based on how distressed the two seem.

"We just thought it was him because we found the body close to his house," Stiles lies, though she doesn't know that.

Her eyebrows raise with shock, her mouth opening slightly, "what? You two found a body?" she asks but any answer she receives, she won't believe.

"Yeah, uh, before school started back. Well, it was only half of the body," Scott tells her.

Stiles pats his back, "but, we found the other half too, like last night, actually," he says with a lighthearted voice. "I told my dad this morning and they arrested Derek. But, they let him go after animal hair came back from the analysis of the body."

He looks to Scott, hoping he is catching up with the plan to leave out some information.

"Okay," she swallows, taking in the new information. She sits down on a bench behind her, she looks up to them, "so, you guys went to the bus to find evidence against Derek?"

"Uh, yeah," Scott nods. The boys share another look but Paxton's too busy in a daze to see. To understand they were lying.

She watches her hands shake in her lap. "How'd you tear the seat?"

"What?" they say at the same time.

"The bus seat?" she glares at Scott, noticing his surprised expression. As if he didn't know she saw that. "You weren't moving and I kept saying your name. You didn't snap out of until Stiles honked and then you ripped the seat," she reminds him, growing impatient.

"Oh, that," he says with a loss of words. He looks to Stiles for an answer but he didn't know either. "Stiles scared me, I don't know. It just happened."

She nods even though she doesn't believe him. But, she wouldn't push him on it. She wanted to know what they were hiding and she knows she has to be on their good side to do that.

Her leg bounces against the cold floor. The two boys are at a loss. They couldn't be more afraid of telling her these things. It doesn't just mean that the truth was bound to come out, it meant that it's an invitation for them to have something in common again. A restart on their friendship scared all three of them more than any of the murder things. Evoking emotions they tried hard to forget about.

"Do you guys really think it's Derek Hale?" she asks, the guard around her falling down. Her wide eyes look up to them, sticking to Stiles. She watches him sigh before sitting next to her.

Scott follows, sitting on the other side of her. "We really do," Stiles reassures her. He pushes the voice in his head that's telling him to not let her in away. He knew why she was looking for answers, it would be selfish to lie to her now.

She tears away from the prolonged eye contact. For the first time, she believes him.

"You're not gonna tell anyone, are you?" Scott interrupts their moment.