𝟎𝟎𝟖 the truth and the answers that follow.

the truth and the answers that follow.

___

THE TENSE AIR CHOKES the three teens as they stand a cautious distance from one another. What is the correct way to respond when someone you love admits to thoughts of hurting you?

Stiles couldn't react with words. His mouth dries at the thought of Scott's abilities causing a rift between them. He wasn't worried about Scott hurting him in that way. He's the only person in Scott's life that would support him no matter the circumstances. If that meant his own death, he knows it would never be at the hands of his best friend. Though, the sentence Scott was so hesitant to say still send a chill down Stiles's body. Tears to his eyes.

Paxton, who had just spoken more words to the two boys in the last few hours than she had in a handful of months, had no idea how to respond. She still finds it all hard to believe. Like it's all a cruel joke. She's had a hard time finding anything to feel real. She knew the tears Stiles held back is real. The shame on Scott's face, too prominent to be a lie. She cuts her eyes between the two pouting boys, choosing to respond in the only way she knew how.

Paxton breaks the silence with humor in her tone, "well, to be fair, I also wanted to kill everyone when we were in the chemistry room. Jackson, especially."

She plays off her trembling voice with a slight laugh as her eyes slow to Stiles. His head was still hung, fixated on his kicking feet. Overthinking her words, she turns to Scott with hope that it might have cheered him up. But when she looked to his spot against the cold railing, he was gone. Mentally cursing herself, she picks at her fingers. She just wanted to relieve their pain, perhaps she made it worse.

She failed to follow her gaze to Scott. He had been too busy spotting his boss to stay for her conversation. Deaton sat on the chilled, metal step of an ambulance. He watches the boy as he calmly dismiss an EMT that had been checking on him.

Stiles breaks out of his heavy thoughts to find a way to cheer the girl out of her own. They were more similar than they cared to admit.

Seething in the cold air around him, he takes a step towards her and carefully wraps his arm around her neck. Pulling her to him, it frees her from her own self-deprecating thoughts. "Come on," he says gently, still reeling from the situation they were in.

Although Stiles had held onto her all night, a part of them felt a discomfort from the simple touch now that people where around. As if they shouldn't be doing it. Neither of them would speak up about it, assuming it would put them at risk of being seen as odd. So Stiles keeps his arm around her as the two make their way to Scott.

Deaton smiles up to Scott from his seat on the ambulance, "there you are!"

The pair find a spot beside Scott as Deaton greets them with an overly friendly smile.

"H-How?" Scott stutters his simple question as disbelief makes its way to him. His faces drains of color as he stares at his employer and potential alpha.

"Did I get out?" Deaton assumes the rest of his sentence. "Not easily. And, from what they tell me, I'm alive because of you. I think I owe you a raise."

Stiles analyzes the man like he does with everything. He couldn't decide if they could trust him or not and it scared him. He doesn't know who to trust at all anymore.

The three examine Deaton as his friendly welcome extends onto another person making their way to the group. Paxton and Scott follow his gaze while Stiles narrows his eyes on the man.

Noah shares a tight lipped smile to them before going to his son's side. "Come on, kids. Let's give him some rest," he tells them before sharing a polite nod to Deaton.