Drowning

Warnings: I'm not sure what warnings should be put here,, I know drowning should at least, so proceed with caution.

~~~

Sam's eyes widened as he tried to take a deep breath, but the only thing that filled his lungs was water. Pure H²O filled the hybrid's lungs as he panicked, his eyes darting every which way as he tried to figure out where he was.

How had he gotten underwater? Where even was underwater? What happened?

All these thoughts flashed through Sam's mind as he reached out into the nothingness, his hands groping at the darkness that surrounded him as he sunk.

As the last few bubbles left his mouth and his eyes began to roll back in his head as he fell unconscious, he felt a gentle hand grip his own. With fuzzy vision, Sam saw the outline of someone, but he never registered who. He then fell unconscious, succumbing to the dark waters that consumed him.

The next thing the hybrid remembered, was jolting upwards and hacking up lungfuls of cold, black water. It poured from his mouth like a waterfall as his body was wracked with awful coughs. As he expelled the last few ounces of water from his lungs, he took in deep breaths of air, savoring the sweet flavor of it and all the life it brought him. As he began to take in his surroundings, he noticed someone beside him, they hadn't spoken a single word since he awoke. Sam turned to them, his eyes widening and guilt overtaking his heart as he saw his former lover sitting there, clothes drenched from saving him.

All Sam could do was stare at Ponk as tears began to slip down his face. The warden couldn't do anything but cry. Cry for the fact that Ponk saved him, cry for the fact he was alive, and cry for the fact that he had fucked up big time in the past. As the hybrid cried, his eyes squeezed shut, he felt arms wrap around him gently and a hand run softly through his hair.

"It's alright, Sam... You're ok... You'll be alright.... I'm here..."

The last phrase whispered softly into Sam's ear made him cry harder, his own arms hugging onto the other in a tight, vice like grip.

He hurt. Oh, how Sam hurt. The only way to heal these wounds was with time, forgiveness from those he wronged, and effort. It wouldn't be easy at all.

As Sam's sniffles and sobs died down, he picked up an odd scent on Ponk, causing him to pull away and look his former lover in the eyes. Ponk returned his gaze, staring into Sam's bloodshot and watery eyes.

It was a silent understanding, Sam knew what it meant, but he didn't speak a word. The broken man sighed, looking Ponk up and down once before thanking him a few times over. After he said his last thank you, Sam arose from the ground and limped away in defeat, not heading towards any specific location. He just left.

It didn't take long for him to stop, resting beneath a tree to catch his breath. He had nearly drowned earlier and was trying to walk a marathon now, no wonder he had to stop.

Sam thought back to everything he could remember, he knew Ponk had found someone new, but he didn't recognize their scent. He categorized everyone's scent on the server in his mind, so he was at a loss when he didn't recognize who the scent on Ponk belonged to. It saddened him to realize Ponk had moved on, discarded him, cast him to the side, but he knew why. His past actions were the reason he didn't deserve Ponk, they were the reason he moved on.

Shortly after thinking over things, Sam jumped slightly when someone sat beside him. It was Ponk. Confused and at a loss for words, Sam just looked at him. Ponk returned the look, smiling warmly with his mask pulled down before pulling it back up. That's when it clicked. The scent that hovered around Ponk, the one that had confused Sam so, didn't belong to a stranger, it belonged to himself. The scent clinging to Ponk belonged to Sam, not some other person that Sam didn't know. How could he have not realized sooner?

I guess nearly drowning does that to a man.

Well, maybe not, maybe so, you won't know until you're in the same situation.

×××

A/N

Sorry, this one had a strong start and then just dragged on and on into a poor ending. I had a good idea in my mind for how to write this one, but I failed. I'll just blame my tired mind for now haha.