Weathermates

Warnings: violence, gore/blood, violence including animals, death, implied murder/severe harm, implied hired killer

~~~

A bone chilling snarl ripped itself forth from deep within the dog's chest, her hackles raised and fur standing on end.

Fran had only wanted to ensure her owners' safety. And that she would do.

The husky mix continued to snarl, her teeth drawn back to show sharp fangs that were quite literally crafted for the kill. Whomever she may be facing had better watch themself closely, lest they become lost to those slavering jaws.

The man who stood before her was not her faithful master, Sam, but an assailant trying to slay the aforementioned.

A sharp blade in hand and dark intent in his eyes showed the true colors of this man to the dog who bared her fang to protect her owner.

Fran snarled viciously, her face twisted into a disgraceful grimace of deep hatred. She took a step forward, and then another, advancing upon the man who held ill intent.

The man let out a soft, yet clearly twisted and sinister laugh, as if the savage-acting beast before him was nothing more than a puppy bumbling around on still-strengthening legs.

It took but a moment for it then to hit her small mind. The dog's savagery dropped for but a moment.

The blade in the man's hand was adorned with blood. The blood of the one she had sworn to protect - the blood of the only person in the entire world that had hand reared Fran from day one.

Sam.

After that stuttering, fleeting, moment, the dog bristled, her muscles shifting beneath her pelt as rage bubbled to the surface of her simple mind.

There was only one thought within this dog's mind as she lost all but a hair's breadth of her thinly kept sanity.

Vengeance.

Nobody but Sam knew the strength that Fran held within her soft gaze and sweet demeanor.

Nobody but Sam knew where the ever-loyal dog originated from.

Nobody but Sam knew what blood ran through Fran's veins from the moment she was birthed.

Nobody but Sam knew that Fran was not of pure domesticated canine blood.

As Fran all but hurled herself at the man wielding the blade, she looked more savage than any dog ever could, more wild, more wolf.

The man wielding the blade tried to protect his face with his arms, unable to draw the blade up quick enough, but they were no match for the jaws of the wolfdog, who sank her teeth into the man's flesh with great ease.

As blood began to stain Fran's fur, she let go of the man's arm and aimed for his throat, a mixture of blood and saliva dripping from her snarling, gaping, maw as she darted forward once more.

But the sweet feeling of victory never got to course through the wolfdog's veins, as the ability to do so drained from her bloodied corpse, now forever grimacing in a mixture of rage and agony.

The man had turned the tides of the battle within the few moments it took Fran to reposition herself, plunging the blade he wielded deep into the base of her throat, somehow striking her heart. An instant death, but alas, an unfair one.

As the ever faithful wolfdog's body fell to the floor with a dull thud, the lifeblood, which once flowed through her, now flowed out of her, creating a dark puddle around her.

Fran's now unseeing eyes were locked on one location when she died, the very same location that held the person she lived to protect. Sam.

As the assailant wiped the blood from his knife, he sighed in relief, disappointed that Fran had to die, but pleased with the mission's outcome nonetheless.

As one final favor for the wolfdog who had given her life for the one she loved, the man hoisted her body into his arms.

When the man left the house of the late warden, the wolfdog was left resting on her owner's lap, almost looking as if she were alive.

Though the outcome was grim for the owner-dog duo, they were left together in death as they had been in life; within the company of one another.

May every person who hears this tale realize the bond between a dog and their master, lest they be lost to the slavering jaws of a dog protecting their kin.

////

Edit/Note: For those not making the connection, the unnamed man is either meant to be a very vengeful C!Ponk or someone hired by C!Ponk. It is up to the reader's decision.