Better Off Without You [Part 1]

Warnings: angst, possible lore spoilers, blood/gore, depictions of past events

Disclaimer: this is NOT 100% based off of actual lore. I will be taking artistic liberty and making shit more interesting (or more boring) if need be 💅

C!Ponk pronouns are he/her (alternated) for this

Note: C!Tommy is adopted by Sam and Ponk in this, he uses the title "bobo" (b-oh b-oh) for Ponk, and "Sam"/"Sama" (s-ah-m-ah)/"Sam Sam" for Sam instead of mom and dad or anything 'normal'. Ponk chose to be called bobo, Sam just let Tommy choose what to call him.

~~~

It had been done, he had given in, she had finally caved and let it take him. It may not have been her original plan, but the way his heart had been completely destroyed by the one she loved drove him to do it.

Ponk sighed, closing her eyes momentarily, before gently flexing the new crimson appendage that had sprouted from the stub that was previously his arm. Sam had taken her arm from him, the Egg had given it back. Sam had taken one of her lives from him, the Egg had given one anew. Sam had completely shattered and decimated the warm and caring heart that had once beat within Ponk, the Egg had given it back, now repaired with it's crimson vines.

Ponk had given up after Sam broke her heart, giving in to the Egg's whisperings of promises and knowledge. He felt whole again, she felt rebuilt without the pain from the past blinding him constantly, though it still ached.

She was ready to leave Sam in the past, allow him to rot within the prison and his mind. Wither away until he is no more than corpse residue staining the prison's cold floors.

That is just what he did, left Sam to his own devices, own self destructive tendencies.

×

Ponk was sewing up a hole in her baklava, when Eret entered the room, toting a bag of material scraps,

"This should be enough. If you need anything, just let me know, love." Eret said, giving Ponk a sweet smile before leaving.

Ponk sighed, he was so grateful for her friend. Eret had allowed Ponk to move in with them after the incident with Sam, as Ponk needed time to heal fully and correctly. Surprisingly, Eret didn't seem to mind the crimson growth on Ponk's arm, as it had been dismissed as a 'makeshift prosthetic' by the shorter person more than once.

And though Ponk had no desire to speak about the man who betrayed him, Eret spoke of him anyways, always adding some bit of fuel to that little spark of hope deep within Ponk that things would go back to before.

"Who knows, maybe Sam will make you a nice prosthetic? Would be quite kind of him, considering what he did to you and all. It also seems like something he would do, as he did make you your leg prosthetics, right?" Eret inquired, raising a brow.

Ponk nodded quietly, not wishing to talk about the subject. Eret frowned, sighing softly before sitting beside Ponk at the small table,

"Ponk... I know he hurt you... very, very badly... but you need to forgive him... I'm no biblical Christian, but the one thing I do remember about the Bible, is that God says to forgive anyone who wrongs you. I may not agree with most of the other things in that book, nor this 'God' guy, but that part is good advice, my friend. Forgive those who have hurt you, it makes it easier for yourself to heal and move on."

Ponk sighed, rubbing her face, "I know, Eret, I know... It's just so hard... I loved him so much, he meant so much to me... but then he turns around and does this... treats me like nothing more than another criminal on the street..."

Eret smiled slightly, "Well, that isn't exactly an exaggeration, Ponk... You have been known to steal things in the past..."

"Gah, I know! But that isn't the point!" Ponk whined, frowning.

"Healing doesn't happen overnight, it happens all in good time... all in good time..."

Eret gave Ponk a gentle hug, trying to give their friend at least a little comfort and knowledge that he was understood.

×

"You know what?" Ponk asked, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Hmm?" Tommy hummed, looking over at the other.

"You've matured a lot over these past few months... I've enjoyed the time we spend together, Toms. Thank you for still visiting me..." Ponk mused, smiling softly beneath his mask.

Tommy smiled brightly, "Anytime, big man!Why would I not want to see you?! You're my second father! Yeah, Sama fucked up, but that doesn't mean he did anything to our relationship, right?"

Ponk nodded, giving Tommy a side hug, happy that the boy still chose to see her.

The two hung out for a few more hours, chatting and catching up. Ponk was forever grateful that he and Sam had decided to basically adopt Tommy, as that boy was one of the only things that kept her going. The fact that Tommy still visited, even after their incidents with Sam, made Ponk happy. It was nice to have someone left.

×

"It's been a while since I last visited," Ponk spoke, dangling his feet over the edge and looking into the pit. "but I didn't forget about you- about us. Not that we had anything romantic going on, or anything even close to that, but I never got to say I admired you in at least some ways. J, dot, Schlatt. You may not have been the greatest man, but you did have some good in you, no matter what others may say."

Ponk opened a bottle of what looked like fizzy apple cider vinegar and downed a little of it before pouring the rest on Schlatt's resting place. Their ties had been kept quiet, but they were still there.

"You know," Ponk added after emptying the bottle, "I think I'm better off without him... you did always tell me something was off about him... I just chose not to believe you..." She paused, sighing, "Thank you... I wish you were here to thank in person, but as Wilbur had said... 'it was never meant to be.'" And with that, Ponk rose from his spot and walked off, leaving the empty bottle behind as a reminder of her visit.

He had made a decision.

×

"Hey, Tommy?" Ponk questioned, looking at the young man.

"Yeah?" Tommy responded, a hint of curiosity in his voice.

"You know I love you, right...?"

"Of course! You and Sama wouldn't have practically adopted me if you didn't! And, you wouldn't have done all of the things you did for me!" Tommy exclaimed, growing confused.

"Wait... is something wrong? Are you dying or some shit????"

Ponk laughed softly, shaking his head, "No, no... I just want to tell you something... something very hard for me to tell you.... but it's to keep you safe..."

Tommy tilted his head to the side, "Aaaaaaand, what's that?"

Ponk sighed, "Tommy, I need you to stay away from Sam. Promise me you'll stay away from him, he's changed... he's changed, and definitely not for the better..."

Tommy frowned, "I know, bobo... he hasn't been himself for a while... but I can't promise to never see him! He is my other father after all...! But I do promise to always stay safe. I'll make sure I always have emergency supplies on me, ok?"

"Ok... That still doesn't give me any comfort, but you are nearly an adult now... Please stay safe, Toms, I couldn't bear to lose you..." Ponk said softly, hugging her adopted son.

From that day forth, Ponk avoided Sam at all costs and had decided he wasn't worth all the pain he had gone through for him, all the suffering. Sam would never be welcomed back with open arms by the one he hurt more than anyone else. She and his son had promised to steer clear of him to stay safe from his declining sanity.

~~~

A/N - read the rest in my short story book of the same name as this oneshot! I held a poll and it was voted that I continue this as a short story in a separate book! (: