Prologue

A/N: Thanks for coming to my newest story! Seeing as how I've had about a 4-6 year hiatus from writing, I'm very happy to be back. This is a Tony Stark x Reader soulmate AU. For the sake of this story, Tony is about 8 years older than (y/n). Please enjoy, and don't forget to vote! :)

.✧・゚: ✧・゚: ✧・゚: ✧・゚: ✧・゚✧.

     Growing up, everyone was always excited for their sixteenth birthday. Usually turning sixteen means getting your driver's license, or new found freedom, at least that's what you thought it would be all about, if the world wasn't the way it was. Turning sixteen now meant finding out if you had a soul mate or not. The morning of your sixteenth birthday, words would appear on you, which would indicate the first, or last words your soulmate would say for the day.

     So, that morning you woke up and squeezing your eyes shut, you were worried if there would be words or not, concerned about where on your body they would be placed. There's some people out there who's sentences will appear right on their face, which sometimes could lead to a very embarrassing day. A soulmates connection is complete when you touch each other for the first time, their touch will create almost like a birth mark on your skin and from that point on, you'll know your soulmate.

     Rushing into your bathroom that morning, you stared at your body in the full length mirror, searching for something, anything to signify you have a soulmate. Then, there it was written on the inside of your left wrist, Who would have thought?

     You laughed slightly and nodded, yeah, who would have thought? You were so worried that you weren't going to have a soulmate, but now the journey has only just begun, you have a lot of work to do in even trying to find your soulmate. Rushing out to the kitchen where your parents were seated, your father watching the news from the TV across the room, and your mother cooking breakfast.

     "There's our birthday girl," Your father smiled, coming over to kiss your head, "Any verdict yet?"

      You nodded outstretching your arm to show them both, the words written as if you'd done it yourself in pen, your mother chuckled, "Sounds like they might be excited as well for the outcome."

     "I think I'm surprised too," You began, "I was really trying to think of something cooler to say incase their words happened to be my first sentence of the day."

     Your father chuckled, "I think I'm surprised too, could be a good way to start, it sounds like you're almost replying back to them. Now don't get too tied up in this soulmate business though, you're still young, you have plenty of time to bump into your soulmate."

      You groaned, "Yes dad. You have nothing to worry about."

     Ignoring what your father said, when you arrived at school you were excited to show your friends the proof that you do in fact have a soulmate out there. Joking around you began shaking hands with your friends around you in order to rule out anybody you go to school with. Touch after touch, your skin stayed the same no sign of your soulmate being in the same school.

     Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months, and months into years. Suddenly you were eighteen and no closer to finding your soulmate, in fact, things will probably just get much harder. You've graduated from high school and will be moving to The Big Apple to attend New York University for college, and now you're going from having a small town of people to interact with, to an entire city.

     The morning after you moved into your college apartment, you were surprised to see the words on your wrist, She's closer now, I know it. Your breath hitched in your throat staring at the words written on your skin, was your soulmate talking about you? Was there something else going on in his life? Was there more to this whole soulmate thing than expected? You could swear you could feel the fact that you were closer to him, just like the words on your skin, you just knew. Thoughts swirling your mind, you called your mother.

     "Hey, (y/n) is everything okay?"

     "Yeah, I was wondering if I could ask you a question," You began, "You know, about the whole soulmate thing?"

     "Honey, I thought we talked about this, you shouldn't be running after your soulmate, you'll meet them when you meet them."

     You rolled your eyes, "Yes, mom, I know, but it's just a question."

     "Okay, shoot."

     "Dad was your soulmate, right?"

     "Of course he was, why?"

     "Well before you guys actually met, did you have a feeling that you were close to him? Like did you know you were getting closer until you found each other?"

     Your mom giggled lightly, "A lot of different things can happen while you're finding your soulmate, that's why you're told to pay attention to everything. Before I met your father, anything he put on his skin would appear on mine, that included bruises, cuts, and tattoos. While they would fade after a while, your father and I still have a matching scar on our palms from stitches that never healed completely on him. It's all about perception, and the kind of people you both are. The universe does it all for a reason, if you can feel him, then maybe you are getting close."

     You nodded even though your mother couldn't see you, "Thanks mom, I think I needed that."

     "Of course honey. Now get settled, these next four years are going to be a lot of hard work and dedication."

     You laughed, "Okay mom, I'll call you in a few days after my first set of classes."

     "Of course, love you!"

     "Love you too," You said hanging up the phone, and scanning your arms again.

     Your parents were able to see each other's injuries, before meeting, and right now you're able to feel your soulmate, will that change? Will it evolve? Does this mean you're getting closer to finding him? You laid in your new dorm room wondering what was going to come next for you. You couldn't wait to who your soulmate was, and you hoped you would meet them sooner than later.