Chapter 28

(y/n) POV:

A few days later, you and Tony had your bags packed, throwing them in the trunk of the car, along with Steve's shield, you sighed. Heading back into the living room your eyes fell on Happy who was playing with Morgan, and Pepper with her son, Charlie in the kitchen. Your eyes were filled with tears as you watched Morgan run around the room happily. You made your way over to Pepper and Charlie.

"Thank you so much for all of this again, I'm hoping we won't be gone long. Are you sure you're okay staying here?" You asked her, causing her to nod and smile up at you.

"Of course, Morgan is already going to be confused without you here, I don't want to pull her away from her home too. Having Charlie here will be nice for the two of them to play together."

You nodded, pulling her in for a hug, "Thank you Pepper, I promise we'll call every night."

"I know you will. I don't want to keep you guys, I'm sure the team needs you more than we do right now."

You gave Pepper another hug, followed by Charlie then Happy before finally picking up your daughter and spinning her in your arms. Tony laying a big kiss on her face which caused her to giggle.

"Mommy and daddy have to go away for work for a little bit, okay? You're going to stay here with Auntie Pepper and Uncle Happy until we get back." Tony said to your daughter, who looked as if she was going to cry.

"Don't cry baby, we'll be back just in time to plan your birthday party!" You said excitedly, bouncing her slightly.

"You promise, mommy?"

"I promise, baby." You said kissing her head, "You're turning the big five! Daddy and I would never miss that."

"I love you three thousand." She said before throwing her little arms around you and Tony.

After a much needed group hug from your daughter, you gave her plenty of kisses, before Tony did the same, and you left. Climbing into the passenger seat, you waved to Morgan one last time before you watched them shrink from view.

Tony took your hand over the center console, "Are we doing the right thing, Tony?" You asked, drying a stray tear from your cheek.

"I think so, Honey. We have to at least try. If it doesn't work, we come right back here, and you let me give you another baby." He said, giving you a sly smirk.

You laughed, "You really know how to make the moment special, don't you."

"Of course I do." He laughed.

The rest of the drive, you and Tony talked about the idea of another child, you were skeptical about the entire conversation because of what you were going to try to accomplish at the compound. You waved him off, telling him that all you want to do is make sure you make it home in one piece for the child you already do have before you talk about having a second.

The familiar drive went by quickly, the world looking so different than the last time you were at the compound, you watched as the buildings came into view. Noticing Steve leaning against the wall by the front door, Tony decided to rev the engine and slam on his breaks in front of Steve. Missing him by just a few feet, he reverses rolling down his window to meet Steve's gaze.

"Why the long face? Wild guess, he turned into a baby?"

"Among other things." Steve sighed, looking defeated.