Zara's Illness (Part 1)

Zara Fraggle woke up coughing. Her throat was raw, and her eyes hurt after crying so much. She often had fevers. Her body felt heavy, and she was exhausted beyond belief. She has been feeling like this for weeks. She rolled over, trying to ignore the throbbing in her head. She buried her face into a pillow and groaned. "It's time for breakfast, Zara." Mokey said as she carried a bowl of soup and a cup of tea. Zara slowly turned her head to look at her mother. "I'm not hungry, Mama. . ." Mokey set the tray down on the side table and smiled at her daughter. "Sweetheart, I know you aren't feeling well. But you need to at least drink your tea. Papa put honey in it to help soothe your throat." Zara reluctantly nodded and sat up. "Here, sweetie." Mokey said as she sat next to her daughter. Zara slowly took the teacup from her mother's hands. She looked at it for a second before taking small sips. She sighed once she finished drinking the tea. "That's my good girl." Mokey said with a smile as she took the cup and set it back on the tray. "Do you want to go back to sleep?" She inquired. Zara nodded and laid back down. Mokey stood up, picked up the tray, and started walking towards the door. "Mama?" Zara asked. Mokey turned around to face her daughter. "Yes, baby?" She replied. "Can you sing me a lullaby?" "Of course, sweetheart." Mokey sat back on the bed.

"What makes dreamers feel dreams are more than real?

Why does dreaming keep revealing what our lives conceal?

Dream a dream and see what a dream can be.

Dream a dream and see why sweet dreamers dream.

When I wake I see one more mystery.

While our minds run is there someone dreaming you and me?

Dream a dream and see what a dream can be.

Dream a dream and see why sweet dreamers dream.

Dream a dream and see."

Mokey softly sang while stroking Zara's hair. Soon enough, Zara was asleep once again. "How is our precious baby today?" Boober asked as he walked into the room. "She's still not feeling well, love." Mokey sadly said. "You mean she isn't better yet?" Boober asked. Mokey shook her head, tears filling her eyes. "Don't worry, dear. Everything will get better. She'll get better soon." Boober said as he hugged Mokey. "I just wish we could make things better for her, Boober." Mokey cried. "We're doing all we can for her. You should know that." Boober assured her.  After a couple of minutes, they broke the hug. "She will be okay. We've gotten through worse times." Boober said with a shaky voice. Mokey nodded, wiping tears from her eyes. "Just stay strong. Don't give up hope yet." Boober said soothingly. Mokey nodded, sniffling. "Okay, Boober." She said weakly. Boober gently kissed Mokey's tear-stained cheek. He walked to the side table to collect the tray. He looked at the bowl of soup. "She didn't eat her soup?" He asked. "No, but she drank her tea. She said she wasn't hungry." Mokey explained as she wiped her eyes. Boober nodded, looking down at the soup. After a few moments, Boober looked back up at Mokey. "Is there anything else you want to talk about?" He asked. Mokey wiped another tear. "Not right now, no." She answered. Boober rested his hand on Mokey's shoulder. "Alright. Do you want to go for a walk?" Boober suggested. Mokey looked at her sleeping daughter. "I can't bear to leave her." She said. "I can tell. We'll both stay here with her, okay?" Boober replied. "If I leave her, she might think I hate her." Mokey whimpered. "Zara would never believe such a thing like that! She wouldn't be able to take the thought of such an awful thing." Boober said as he held his mate's hand. Mokey sobbed. Boober pulled Mokey close and rubbed her back. "I promise, love, that nothing bad will happen to our child." Boober assured her. Mokey sniffled and gave a sad smile. "Thank you, Boober. I love you." She said. "I love you too, dearest heart." Boober answered.