15 | Promise

Like
.
.
.
Comment
.
.
.
Follow!

Constructive feedback is much appreciated!❤

P.s. Don't be shy, and be a bold reader😉❤

Enrico's POV:

“Absolutely not.” I answered, and followed her to the kitchen.

As we entered, I saw everything already prepared. I furrowed my brows in confusion.

She cleared her throat, catching my attention.

“I will introduce myself properly, I am Martha Williams, working as a housekeeper for Ms. Hernández.” She introduced.

To not be rude, I decided to introduce myself too.

“Mrs. Williams, I am Enrico Nicoletti.”

She smiled at me, before heaving a sigh.

“I know you must be confused why I asked you for your help, when everything is already prepared.” She continued.

I nodded my head, telling her she was right.

“You see, I have been working as Kataleya's housekeeper, since she moved here five years back. And before that, I was her neighbor in an apartment complex when she was in highschool. ” She stated, and with how her eyes were glistening with love and care for Kataleya, it was evident how much she means to her.

I watched her with my whole attention, solely on her and her words, which she was speaking.

“Since then, I have seen how cruel life has been to her. When I first met her, she was cheerful and full of life. She would smile at everyone, and used to brighten everyone's day. Everyone at complex loved and admired her. She was the sunshine of many people's life.” She narrated, a longing smile on her face lingered, as she did so.

I envied Kataleya. This woman had this motherly warmth around her, only for Kataleya. But, I wondered her being the girl Martha was describing.

I couldn't. It felt like imagining someone who never existed. It made me question, what happened to her that she became someone completely opposite?

“I saw this bubbly girl, smiling less and less everyday. She began to come back late, smelling of cigarettes and completely wasted. Her eyes filled with tears while she laughed. It was too much for everyone. Especially me. I am not gonna tell you anything because it's not my place, and nor do I know the reality of everything.” Her eyes were glistening with a watery layer, as she tried to hold her tears from falling down.

“I understand.” It was all I could say. I had no idea what to say.

Even though, I never knew this girl, but I felt bad for her. My heart pitied her, something I can tell, she despises.

Martha nodded her head at me, before continuing.

“I told you this because I wanted a promise from you.” She said, taking my hand in hers.

I didn't pull away, I looked down on her hands holding mine, and said “What do you want me to promise?”

“I want you to promise me that you will look after her. It was me who made sure she never missed her meals, so, I want you to make sure she never skips them. You see, Kataleya engage herself too much in her work that she don't realize the time. If not for me, she would stay alive on a granola bars.” She shook her head.

“I want you to promise me that you will nag her if she overworks. I want you to be there for her. Can you promise me that?” She looked at me in hope, making my heart clench.