Blame Game

Smoke

We arrived to the hospital quicker than expected and went straight to the receptionist desk. Dorinda was in panic mode, but I tried my hardest to keep her calm. Stressing out would only result in her being in the hospital with high blood pressure and a nigga ain't want that.

"Excuse me, can you please tell me what room Gregory Cole Jr is in?" Dorinda asked.

"Who are you to him?" The receptionist asked.

"I'm his mother. I need to see him, please? Please?"

"Mr. Cole just got out of surgery and there's already someone back there with him. Only two people are allowed back there so...."

"That's fine, she his mama. A nigga can stay up here. I don't need to go back there." I said.

"Okay, well give me a few moments. I'll see what I can do. Until then have a seat in the waiting room and your name will be called shortly." Dorinda thanked her before we found a place to sit.

We decided to sit in a secluded area where she and I could have our space. I held her hand as I looked at her. The look on her face told me she was about to cry. I rubbed her back in soothing circles trying to comfort her, but that wasn't enough to ease her hurting heart.

"T-This is my fault." Dorinda finally spoke as tears fell down her face.

"Baby, no. Don't say that shit."

"It is.... Maurice, it is.... he told me that he needed me and I completely blew him off. I should have went to him in that moment. I should have canceled my appointment. I-I should have-" I grabbed her chin softly and made her look in my eyes making her cry more.

"Doe, stop it. This shit is not yo fault. You are not finna blame yourself fah this either. Say for instance you would've canceled the appointment and went to him when he called who's to say that you would have gotten there on time? One thing my mama taught me is dat if God wants your attention he'll always find a way to get it. Maybe this was his wakeup call. Your job is to be there fah Jay not play the blame game. He's a grown man bae. Sometimes we make decisions and choices that get our ass in hot water, but we always find a way out and come to our senses cause we have our mamas there to guide us and lead the way. Everything gon' be alright. You're a woman of faith baby. Trust in the Lord to handle dis. He got you, he got Jay, and he got us. You understand me?"

I pulled her into me and she placed her face in my neck as she held onto me tight and broke down. I held her close as I rocked her back and forth. I knew she was hurting, but one thing I also knew was that she'd make it through. I held her until a doctor came out and a name was called.

"Family of Gregory Cole Jr." Dorinda instantly got up and went over.

I got up behind her and walked over with my hands in my pockets.

"Yes, I'm his mother. Can I see him now, please?" Dorinda asked.

"Yes, Mr. Cole is ready for visitors. Is he with you also?" The doctor asked, referring to me.

"He is, the receptionist said he couldn't come back there. Is that true?"

"That's nonsense, of course he can go back there. Follow me I'll take you right to him." The doctor said.

"Thank you, doctor."

Dorinda held my hand as we walked to the back where the doctor led us. We followed him to a room then left us. Dorinda looked at me before letting my hand go and going inside.

"Jay? How's my baby boy?" Dorinda asked, touching his face.

"He's been in and out for the past few hours mama."

"Nikki, thank you for being here with him. As soon as I got the news I came straight here as fast as I could."

"Of course, ma." Nikki looked over at me then back at Dorinda. "Ma, is this Mr. Right? You know I've been waiting to meet him."

"He is. Come here baby." Dorinda said, reaching for my hand.

I gave it to her as I walked closer to them.

"Maurice this is my babygirl Nikki. She's been dying to meet you. Nikki this is my love, my heartbeat, the father of your newest little sister, Maurice Montoya." Dorinda said introducing us.

Nikki gasped softly at her words as she placed her hand on Dorinda's stomach.

"Girl? Yes! I can't wait to meet my little sister. It's nice to meet you Maurice. My mom has told me nice things about you. As long as you treat her right and keep her happy I'm all here for this." Nikki said.

"Fasho, ya mama is a Queen. She deserves the world and I plan on giving it to her and making it official." I said, kissing Dorinda's cheek.

She blushed then kissed my lips as she pulled me closer to her. I wrapped my arms around her waist making Nikki place her hand over her heart.

"Oh my God, you two are absolutely adorable. I'm so happy that you're happy mommy."

"Thank you sweetheart." Dorinda said.

There was a comfortable silence in the room. That was until Jay opened his eyes and looked over at us.

"Who the hell is this?"

"Um, Jay honey this is my boyfriend Maurice. How are you feeling?" Dorinda asked.

"Boyfriend? So, that nigga the reason why you couldn't come to my rescue cause you was too busy being a hoe?" Jay asked angrily.

"Hoe?" Nikki and I asked at the same time.

Dorinda put her hand on my chest feeling me get upset.

"Jay, I was at a doctor's appointment that's the reason why I couldn't come. I'm so sorry."

Jay looked at her stomach seeing that she had a huge baby bump which only made him more upset.

"You let this fuck nigga get you pregnant? So I was right you couldn't be there for your flesh and blood because you were too busy spreading your legs and being a hoe. Man get the fuck outta here."

"She ain't gon' be too many more hoes I'll tell you dat right now. Son or not you ain't finna disrespect her." I said.

"Jay, you need to calm the hell down and talk to mama like you got some sense. It's not her fault that you made the dumb decision to get yourself shot because you wanted to be involved in the drug life. You did this to yourself." Nikki spat.

"Man, I don't wanna hear that shit. Her job was to be there for me and put that nigga on hold but she couldn't even do that. I guess mama gotta have a life too, huh?"

"Jay, please stop okay? Just stop. You're starting to act like your father. I said that I was sorry and I'm here now. Now, I didn't say anything about your little outburst because I know you're speaking out of anger, but one thing you will do is respect me. I'm still your mother." Dorinda said.

"I'm starting to act like daddy? Well at least he would have dropped everything he was doing and came to my rescue when I asked him to. You know what I don't even know why they called you. I don't need you here. You can step. I'm over this shit. You and yo dude can get the fuck out. It's your fault I'm in this position. I don't want you here. Get out." Jay said.

Seeing tears come to Dorinda's eyes broke a nigga heart. She was already blaming herself over this shit and Jay ain't make it no better. She ran out the room in tears making Nikki run behind her. I walked over to Jay and jacked him up by his shirt.

"Get the fuck off me!"

"No, you was wrong fah how you talked to yo mama. One thing you need to know is that yo mama was worried out of her fucking mind about yo ass because all she wanted to do was make sure that you was okay so for you to treat her like dat is foul as hell and out of line. You may not think so, but this moment gon' come back and bite you in the ass. You gon' need yo mama and you gon' come crawling on yo knees fah her. Life too fucking short. We only get one set of parents cherish them while they here on earth cause once they gone that's it. Remember this fucking conversation." I let his shirt go then walked out.

I had to go find my baby. I knew that she was hurt about this situation, but I needed her to know regardless we would be alright.

Things would get better.