The Promise

Smoke

As soon as we got in the car I turned on my emergency lights then sped all the way to the hospital. We made it there in five minutes tops. I'd already called my mama and Karen before leaving the house. I hoped they were already here because the way Doe was talking lil baby wasn't gon' wait.

"Hey, my wife in labor. Can we get some help?" I asked, running into the room.

A few nurses and a doctor that were on standby grabbed a wheelchair and followed me. Dorinda's OBGYN that she'd picked met us here as well so she was all set. They put Doe in the wheelchair and pushed her to the back.

"Alright, ma'am everything is going to be okay. Just take a few deep breaths." The nurse coached her.

"Where is Maurice? Ahhhh." Dorinda groaned out, feeling a contraction.

"I'm right here baby. I got you." She grabbed my hand and held it tightly as we went all the way to the back.

They put her in a room and prepped her. Her doctor came in dressed for the occasion and I tried my best to keep her calm as she held my hand and squeezed the life out of it.

"Alright, Ms. Cole this can either go one or two ways.... really fast or really slow depending on baby. Either way let's get this done."

"You gon' be just fine bae. Just relax.... and breathe." I coached her.

Dorinda nodded her head then released a shaky breath. I kissed her lips then her head and after that it was on. Dorinda pushed for exactly ten minutes before our babygirl came. Hearing her light cries made a nigga tear up. I couldn't believe that I was officially a daddy now. She came in weighing 7 pounds 9 ounces. Babygirl was beautiful and most of all healthy. A nigga was overjoyed and my heart was full. I looked up to see Karen and my moms at the door with my sister.

"Let them in." Dorinda said faintly.

"Not yet, you have to deliver the placenta and then I'll let you rest and you're able to have visitors."

"Ugh, I hate this part." Dorinda whined.

"What's wrong bae?" I asked.

"This part always hurts. Can you hold my hand please baby?"

"Fasho, ya man got you." I said, grabbing her hand.

It took another ten minutes for her to push out the placenta but after it was over the nurse brought our babygirl back to us wrapped in a blanket and she had a little hat on her head. She was so damn light. I was over the moon.

"Here's daddy." The nurse said, handing her to me.

"You got it, keep your hand on her head to support it. You're a natural."

"Oh shit..... bae what's this feeling in my heart that's blossoming the more I look at her?" I asked.

"It's called love. I knew you would fall in love the moment you saw her. She's so beautiful." Dorinda sniffled.

"Just like her mommy." I kissed her lips as she wiped tears from her eyes.

Dorinda laid in awe as she watched me hold and interact with our baby. My heart was so full it felt like it was filled to bursting.

"Daddy loves you babygirl. I promise never to let anyone hurt you. Ima protect you and ya moms with my life." I felt tears come to my eyes.

I gave our daughter to Dorinda as Karen, my sister Gabriela, and my mama all surrounded Dorinda and the baby instantly. Hearing them interact with her guilt instantly filled every part of my being.