Calling upon the devil

On the third day, Denise was able to come across something silver although she had failed to cross paths with an alternative food source.

The silver was actually something that looked like a leaf though very thick. The silver leaves sat on a stunted shrub that lived in the dark shadow of a large tree. The leaves gleamed like they had glitter, they also had strange ominous looking vines holding them to the ground.

The vines seemed to be sucking life out of something; either the ground or the large tree.

Denise rolled her eyes. Of course that wolf would send her out to pick poison in the name of seeing a god!

A second later, she noted that it did make sense that he would poison her. After all, how else would she see a god without dying?

She wondered whether the silverwhip was actually a silver leaf or something like that.

She poked the leaf several times with a stick just as a crude way of testing for poison even though it wasn't valid. Using a safer green leaf, she plucked three silver leaves causing the purple liquid in the vines of the silver leaves to squirt everywhere like chicken blood.

Denise jumped around, dodging the splashing purple liquid before leaving. She failed to notice the plant regrow quickly where it had been snapped and everywhere the purple liquid had fallen, new silver leafed plants grew at an alarming rate.

Her next move after that was to go to near dark areas, pick up weird looking plants and plant parts- except for a white round dome that hung one side of the bark of a tree. It looked like a gigantic white spot- the white spots that puffed into the fog.

She also collected all kinds of mushrooms, covering them with a leaf before she plucked them, in case they were poisonous.

That night, she didn't hear any hitting on her tree. She had specially made large fires. Instead, the night was filled with distant whimpers and cries. They sounded so desperate, as though pleading for a hope.

When morning came, the wolf arrived at her door promptly.

Denise damped all that she had collected at his feet, "here! This is what I found."

When a scowl started to appear on his face, she immediately burst out.

"Don't even say anything," she complained.

"I wasn't," he denied.

She mumbled, "I saw you opening your mouth. That's already saying everything."

"Opening my mouth! Saying everything!" he mimicked, "then what did I say?"

She had almost forgotten that he had super good hearing.

"Then what did I say," she answered.

"I'm asking you-."

"That's exactly what you said but I was being nice by erasing the part where you called yourself an arse for sending me out to find things I didn't know. Do you know how dangerous this forest is?"

"Ha! I'm the only danger in this forest,"

She cleaned her ears and scoffed, "my ears must be hearing things. I heard something weird about an overgrown puppy that runs with his tail tucked between his legs whenever it becomes dark."

His scowl grew deeper, "Xiao Hēi!"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Your playing the wrong game by insulting my age,"

"I know, age can be such a sensitive topic. But its really hard for anyone to gauge your age when you fetch a stick to have fun,"

"Why would I fetch a stick?"