someone else is coming

The following morning, the wolf dragged another boar in. The size was the same as the previous ones he had been dragging in.

Denise had been forced to stay and given a large chunk of meat in exchange for her toy. She could barely carry it. It was bloody and she had no seasonings.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" she asked, irritated by the blood on her hands and the weight of the meat.

He corked an eyebrow at her, "do you not know how to eat?"

"It's so big. I don't have a knife," she complained.

He wondered what a knife was and  quickly forgot about it. Then he looked her over.

Denise sighed and looked around. She was sure that he wouldn't be of any help. She spotted a leaf on the forest floor, still moist from the shallow rain of the previous night. She walked over to it, knelt and gently placed the meat on to it.

This gave her a full view of her very bloody hands. She sighed again. She didn't know how she would be able to resist the night beast with blood she couldn't wash off.

She then dragged the meat towards her tree home. She thought it over and quickly decided to have a bloody barbecue. But when she thought of the size of the meat and the fact that she wouldn't have the strength to get it into a stick for easy roasting, she tried to think of an alternative.

"I wish I could just throw it in the fire and let it handle itself," she said. Then it hit her. She could bake.

Back at home, she would spend hours just watching rural life, so she quickly gathered her knowledge with a hopeful expression.

She started a fire and added wood, leaving it to catch. She picked up two more large leaves and wrapped the meat as perfectly as she could. She then dug up the moist mud and layered it over the wrapped meat until it was covered completely.

When the fire was big and bright, she added three large stones in the centre. She carried the heavy covered meat and placed it on the stones. There after, she added three stones over the meat and placed more firewood directly over the makeshift oven.

When she was done, she smiled happily at herself. And proudly hit her chest, "the ancestors must be proud."

She then waited patiently, not knowing what time she should take it off. She would occasionally add firewood to maintain the heat.

Soon enough, she started to get drowsy. Her head tilted left and right as her eyes closed and opened. Embers broke off the burning firewood and floated into the sky like floating lanterns.

Her head dipped and she closed her eyes, sleeping off completely.

"from the East."

Denise's head shot up immediately, she was instantly awake, "what?"

All around her was darkness.

Denise could have sworn that she had only slept for a second before she woke up. She looked down at the fire. It had dimmed a little but was still burning significantly.

"Wait-it's dark!" Denise whispered to herself and shot up immediately.

Darkness meant the fog and the fog meant the monster that came with it.

Denise looked around. The night was clear, there wasn't any wetness or fog in the air. A slight fear tickled at her insides.

And what was with the voice from before. She heard it so clearly, it was as though someone had spoken right in her ear.