To seduce a wolf

[~to the pain that they neither knew was there nor dared to admit, is always the relief of losing a burden. -Denise]

When I was younger, I was terrified of the dark. I was somehow always able to make out figures and shapes in the darkness. And they were all after me yet all they did was just simply stare at me.

But when I closed my eyes, I somehow felt safer in the darker shades of the abyss than those that seemed to have light.

Hey buddy," she called, "I have something for you." She smiled as she waltzed her way to the wolf.

He was basking in the heat of the morning sun on a spot above his cave. Lazily, he turned and looked at her.

"Come here," she called him.

Not exceeding her expectations, he simply stayed put.

She pulled out what she had from behind her back, "tada!"

In her hand was a ball of pink, white and green.

"Wondering what this is?" she continued without waiting for a response, "this, sire, is your all purpose, indestructible squishy- better known as chew toy. I bet you, you cannot wait to get your teeth on this."

Apparently, Denise discovered, the forest had more uses than being possibly poisonous. She had been able to scavenge some materials while looking for food. There had been a soft pink material that grew out like a fruit from a tree. It was soft, porous, was semi elastic and could be compressed to a smaller size. Meanwhile, the white substance was completely and also rubber. It was super elastic and extremely dry. The green were a bunch of odd vines Denise had used to tie her entire project together.

She had tried hard to mimic a chew toy. Heaven knew that it took hell for her to figure out a way to make the ball allow air in and out of it without collapsing. She also had to make sure that the surface wasn't easily fractured. What she hated the most was the fact that no part of modern education gave her any help during the process. It was merely a series of trial and error and retries until-

"try it," she said, throwing the ball towards the wolf.

It was massive in size and couldn't easily be hugged by her. Because her throw was poor, the ball ended up rolling into his cave. The smile that appeared on Denise's face because of the resulting situation was truly vicious.

"Stay put," she offered, "I'll get it."

She was really dying to know what exactly was in that cave. Perhaps there was a portal back to her dimension or maybe a hot bath.

Before she could even take a step, the wolf jumped down, landing between her and the cave entrance. In silence, he trotted into the darkness of the cave.

After a few moments, the squishy sound of air being forced out and in could be heard. In the next moment it was heard again. After a small pause, it was heard again.

"It's all yours. Keep it," she announced as she turned to leave.

Just as she had predicted, no dog could resist a squishy toy. If they did, then they were biting their owners.

As she heard the sound of the toy go off a couple of times, she gave herself a pat on the back for her genius.

She then started to count off using her fingers, "toys-check. Nice clean kennel- he can turn into a human he can clean after himself. I'm not touching half-dog-half-human poop. Lastly, tricks and rubs."

She had never kept a dog in her life and neither had her parents, her grandparents nor had her ancestors. The only thing that her entire lineage was good at was running away from dogs. Her grandmother normally joked that the only safe bet for anyone from their family winning the olympics was if they had a mad dog chasing after them.