Chapter 12: Multiple Genjutsu Spy Elimination

Author's Note:
Scrolls have multiple purposes in Ninjutsu. Apart from recording information, being used in battles for different jutsu, they can also be used as storage space
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

The instant the sound was heard, Inoue Shinoda's body turned into a black shadow as he lunged at the closet with his tanto.

Shik

The tanto's blade pierced straight through the closet, but he didn't hear the muffled grunt he was anticipating.

'What's going on?'

A trace of doubt flashed past Shinoda's eyes. His opponent was in the closet, but since he heard no grunt, it could be a sign of Tonan's willpower and endurance to bear the pain.

But even the texture of what his blade hit did not feel right.

In the next moment, the room was suddenly lit up, and a gentle voice emerged from behind Shinoda.

"A guest. Would you like a cup of tea before you leave?"

Shinoda turned around sharply, only to see Tonan in a white shirt, wearing a pair of gold-rimmed glasses as he sat at the living room table, calmly looking at him.

A light aroma of freshly brewed tea was in the air, and wisps of smoke were rising from two cups on the table.

Shinoda was astounded. But then, he heard the sound of dripping water again. From the corner of his eye, he glanced over at the kitchen sink.

The faucet wasn't dripping.

Raising a brow, he formed a seal and said viciously, "You little brat! Did you think such a low-level genjutsu will work on me? Go and practice some more in hell!"

The chakra in his body began to flow rapidly.

"Genjutsu, release!"

In the next instant, the genjutsu lifted, and everything before Shinoda's eyes changed. He found he had already opened the closet door, and his tanto was pointed right at Tonan's neck while the latter trembled, covering his blood-dripping three tomoe Sharingan.

"Did the genjutsu turn against you? Poor kid."

Shinoda smiled cruelly. He was angry at himself for being caught up in his opponent's genjutsu, but seeing Tonan suffer from the backlash, lifted his mood again.

What a genius. To think he managed to trap him in a genjutsu. Too bad his skills were still lacking.

Shinoda stabbed his blade, piercing through Tonan's neck, blood splattering everywhere. Having completed his mission, he pulled it out, prepared to leave this place as soon as possible.

Just at this moment though, the lights came on, and the same scene unfolded again.

"A guest. Would you like a cup of tea before you leave?"

"Impossible...I've already broken your genjutsu!" Shinoda subconsciously retreated a few steps.

Drip, drip...

Glancing at the faucet again, Shinoda saw no water coming out of it at all.

'This damned kid! He actually managed to endure the illusion's backlash and trap me in his genjutsu again.'

'And he must have done it just as I was about to kill him. Looks like his will to live is very strong. But it's meaningless now.'

Shinoda figured everything out in an instant and immediately controlled the frightened expression on his face, once again forming a seal. "Genjutsu, release!"