Chapter 35: Mask Shattered, False Concessions

At the Uchiha district, after hearing about Uchiha Tonan's early graduation, the Great Elder came to visit him at his home. Tonan was sitting under the eaves, whittling a piece of wood with his kunai.

Wood scraps scattered on the floor, and a life-like wooden sculpture appeared. The subject he was carving was none other than Uchiha Mina. Even after death, people's memories hold significance for the living. Putting Mina's carving inside, he picked up another piece of wood and began carving Uchiha Teno.

The Great Elder pushed open the ajar courtyard gate and saw Tonan carving Teno's wooden figurine.

"Great Elder, is there something I could do for you?" Tonan put down the carving and bowed with his hands on his knees, as he politely inquired.

The Great Elder smiled and looked at him up and down. He also did a quick sweep of the house from the corner of his eyes and saw several sculptures placed on a partition.

They were all of Tonan's parents and Mina.

"We're all family here, you don't have to be so formal."

The Great Elder smiled and sat next to Tonan like an old grandpa next door. After a pause, Tonan got up and headed inside to pour him a cup of fresh tea. Bringing it back, he sat down next to him.

"You really like your tea, don't you Tonan?" The Great Elder narrowed his eyes, sipping on the tea.

Tonan nodded and stroked the finished carving in his hand. "That's right. Usually, studying consumes much of my energy, so tea helps me freshen up."

The Great Elder squinted at the carving in Tonan's hand and sighed, "It feels like you've graduated in the blink of an eye, time really flies."

"It's because time flies that every second should be cherished. Don't wait until you lose something before you regret it," Tonan said as his kunai continued trimming the half-carved wood block.

The Great Elder looked at the flock of white pigeons flying in the distance. He said, "You're not like the other clan members. I should say you're the most unique person I've ever met. I thought I was the one who knew you best, but sometimes, I feel like I can't understand you at all."

"Leaving Teno for the end. Is it out of guilt?"

Tonan paused with a start, a puzzled expression appearing on his face. He replied, "I'm not too sure I understand what you're saying, Great Elder."

The Great Elder smiled and said, "You are patient and rational. You are even able to separate reason from emotion perfectly, acting with logic even during the most critical situations."

Tonan's heart jumped, but he put on a despondent expression and shook his head, "That's not what I am at all. I always act on impulse, and even raised a hand against the senpai at the Interrogation Department."

The Great Elder sipped his tea unhurriedly before setting the cup aside. He took out a yellowing book from his robe and placed it between them. Then he said, "This has been in my possession for some time. Let me return it to you now."

Tonan's pupils shrank slightly. He picked up the book and the two of them sat there in silence. Now that winter was approaching, the cool breeze felt cold against his back. This book was the compiled notes he had given to Teno back then.

The poison on it had long evaporated but Tonan realized the part where the poison was applied had reacted distinctly. It had turned extremely yellow.

He miscalculated. Sure enough, he was too inexperienced back then.

'If I hadn't awakened my Sharingan and gained value far beyond those of the others, then maybe I would've been the one who was executed that day.'