Chapter 42: Soul Disguise, Obtaining Profound Meaning

Author's Note:
Ryo is the currency used in the Naruto world. It is based on an old Japanese gold coin that was used in Japan before the Meiji period, later replaced by the yen.

Izanagi is a genjutsu that is cast on the user instead of others and is the most powerful amongst this type of genjutsu.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Uchiha Tonan returned home in a rush, shut the door, and poured himself a cup of tea. He fell into deep reflection.

At lunch, Tonan had noticed Uzumaki Kushina's peculiar gaze, when she was observing him. It wasn't ordinary but rather guarded with strong vigilance. It was similar to that of herbivorous animals that had to go to the crocodile-infested pond to drink water during the dry season on the prairie.

Tonan couldn't understand where he gave the game away. His only choice at the time was to put on an act on the scene and leave in a hurry. He was anxious that he would expose too many flaws if he continued to stay.

"What exactly went wrong that made her so cautious against me in just our first meeting? She said people in the village were talking about me lately. But my actions were clearly on the side of righteousness and grief without the slightest flaw."

Strange...

Tonan understood the principle of reflecting on one's actions three times a day very well. Only with this kind of paranoid diligence, could he make continuous progress in his pursuit to be a master huntsman. Kushina's intuitive vigilance might just be the Uzumaki physique and the Nine-Tails within her body.

Or maybe Kushina had an innate skill similar to telepathy or the Mind Reading Technique.

"So, she can see through my perfect disguise and look at my soul? This is not so easy to deal with... wouldn't Kushina die during the Kyubi rebellion?"

Tonan sipped the tea while his finger rapidly tapped on the table.

Tap, tap, tap...

Suddenly, an idea sprung in his mind, and his frantic finger tapping stopped.

"I've got it! She can look directly at soul essence, isn't it? Then, I will just disguise my soul."

The corners of Tonan's mouth rose slightly, and he walked to the mirror. In his eyes, three tomoe were already spinning rapidly.

"Genjutsu – Hypnotic Eyes!"

"I deeply respect Kushina. I respect her to the extent of regarding her as a parent figure, seeking motherly love from her. She illuminates my heart like a bonfire on a dark night."

"When I see her, my soul's fire will ignite and dispel all the darkness. Only on the day, Naruto will be born, my soul's fire will extinguish on its own."

Tonan entered a trance-like state, as a flame bloomed in his dim soul space. His eyes bled immediately after and his visual power was greatly depleted. But the result was notable. Now, whenever Tonan thought about Kushina, an intimate feeling emerged in his heart.

"A prey, after all, is a prey... you can't escape."

"This damned heartache..."

In the dimly lit room, a magnetic voice resounded.

.........

In the evening, the Great Elder came over to Tonan's house. He made this trip specifically to take him to the Naka Shrine. This could be regarded as the foundation for the Uchiha clan, and also its spiritual symbol. Only the Patriarch and Great Elder could enter and leave this place at will.